Project: KRP frame rebuild

Started by rob w, May 13, 2006, 11:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you, some pictures of a project I just completed.
The job was to fabricate, new, 2/3 of a Kenny Roberts/Penton Short Track frame.
The clients KRP frame had been severely cut up, and altered from previous hackers. So the mission was to use the few good tubes it had left, and rebuild a new frame from the ground up.
Since I have an original KRP frame to go from, I was able to have all the dimensional information needed. I made prints, then hired-out the computerized bending of the tubes, (1" OD x .065 Chromoly). After that I developed all the lengths, mitered the angles on the ends, and made new swingarm mounting plates. Then fitted and tacked it together to the point you see here.
From this point, the client chooses to finish it on his own.
I'll/we'll keep you posted on the completed project.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/BobWardlow/Dscf0087.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/BobWardlow/Dscf0084.jpg

wildman

Nice job, Bob. Looks like a lot of time and effort. Every KRP should be saved, this is a testamant of what can be done. Hows the project of your own personal KRP going? Still collecting parts? I'll help you build an engine whenever you want.
About time for a Penton trailride, don't you think? I hear the new trails at Horseshoe Lake are Vintage friendly, and I've also got a buddy with a lttle track behind his house near Ensley Center I ride at once a month or so on Sundays. He's even got a tiny shorttrack (no knobbys). You wouldn't believe how fast he is on a POS 450WR Hunkavarnish.
Thanks for sharing your latest project. Seeya. Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

doncw

Hi Guys, Just wanted to thank Bob Wardlow for all the help and work that he has put into the chassis parts for me. The replacement tubes he produced are fantastic and the only thing I regret is not ordering double of everything to build another chassis at the same time.
Between Supermoto, Flat Track and some family vaction time the frame rebuild has been relegated to a winter project.
The frame is in a jig however and ready to be dismantled, a motor is ready to install thanks to Al Bruehner and the body parts and wheels are well on the  way to being completed. Just need a few things like an exhaust and fork tubes that aren't rusty. May have to change the Mexican Ceriani's for a set of Betors.
Hats off to Bob and many thanks. A project like this is never easy but Bob's efforts have saved this bike from the junk heap. If all is well the bike will be at Mid Ohio next year for you all to check out.
Cheers for now and enjoy Mid Ohio.
Don Galloway

firstturn

Bob is not only a very talented builder, but also a nice guy.  He has helped me several times and I have always found that his work is excellent.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Old Bierto, I see you are becoming "handy" with a digital camera! Your talents are reflected in your devotion. I remember "way back when" you found a 73 RH side panel, buried in a pile of straw and sent it to me for reproduction, such a dream came true, and now onto greater things. I would like to reproduce the rear seat-frame tail section in white gelcoat fiberglass, would be a team effort ya-know...A "Penton Guyno" ;)
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
Is anyone repoping the tank?
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Hi Ron, I don't know of anyone who is planning on reproducing the tank. Would you know the whereabouts of a decent tail section that I could use as a master. Donor of said item gets #1 or 2 out of the mold.
Thanks,
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

firstturn

Tom,
  You are covered on that.  Mike Winter now owns my #2 KRP and assured me that you will have the tail section sent to you asap.  Looks like Larry Perkins is going to keep us up to date on Mid Ohio.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

454MRW

Tom,
You have mail! Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

rob w

Don, Thank you for the opportunity, I'm pleased you approve of my work. If there's ever an issue getting the frame together, don't hesitate to ask. I'd like your imput when I get around to my porting, and carb.  

Mike, Congrats on your new project. This will be fun. Thanks Ron.

Tom, Thanks again for your help with our projects. The KRP fiberglass part I can think of needing - is the "inner rear fender", that's the guard in front of the rear tire. I have one, don't know if it's standard issue. (It might be from A & A, I'll have to look) But it's a black unpaintable plastic, and damaged.

Bob W

doncw

Hi, I guess I need to pay more attention to the site. i purchaseda aKRP tank from just last year First Klass Glass as he does have a mould. The price was resonable and the service was great. Call Jack at 989-871-2360 in Mich.
I would buy two tail pieces if they are being reproduced.

Quotequote:Originally posted by firstturn

Tom,
Is anyone repoping the tank?

doncw

Hi Bob,
Ted Guthrie is doing an article on this 018 chassis. Can you forwar the photos of the chassis mockup that you had on here please? It been a long time but i am still thankfull you were able to make these parts to save the old chassis. Thanks again Don g.
Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you, some pictures of a project I just completed.
The job was to fabricate, new, 2/3 of a Kenny Roberts/Penton Short Track frame.
The clients KRP frame had been severely cut up, and altered from previous hackers. So the mission was to use the few good tubes it had left, and rebuild a new frame from the ground up.
Since I have an original KRP frame to go from, I was able to have all the dimensional information needed. I made prints, then hired-out the computerized bending of the tubes, (1" OD x .065 Chromoly). After that I developed all the lengths, mitered the angles on the ends, and made new swingarm mounting plates. Then fitted and tacked it together to the point you see here.
From this point, the client chooses to finish it on his own.
I'll/we'll keep you posted on the completed project.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/BobWardlow/Dscf0087.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g8/BobWardlow/Dscf0084.jpg

rob w

Don, I removed those pics off of photobucket years ago (why, I have no idea...dumb) Then soon after, that computer crashed, and I lost many photos, probably including the ones you're looking for. I've looked everywhere, but can't find them.
Bob

454MRW

Here are a couple of Bobs pics that I saved on my old computer. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R