Help needed!

Started by MonkeyBoy, April 29, 2002, 11:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyBoy

I recieved a 250 two-stroke from a friend that has been sitting for a long time.  I have ridden all my life but unfortunately never worked on a bike engine/parts so I am unsure what to do.  It obviously needs a few parts as well as work.  While I wait on the parts I am wondering what to do with the engine, especially the carburetor.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chief

Does the slide move in the carb?  If not, you can try spraying it liberally with WD-40 or similar stuff and letting it sit overnight.  Once you get the slide moving freely, you should dissasemble the carb completely and clean it thoroughly.  Blow out all the air and fuel passages with compressed air and make sure they're not clogged. Not a good idea to clean them out with needles, nails, wire, etc., since you can hog out or scratch a passage or jet pretty easy doing that. Inspect for broken, rusted, or excessively worn parts. Check for excessive slide/bore wear, etc..  It's been a while since I tinkered with an Amal or Mikuni, but I remember them as being pretty simple mechanisms.  Usually all I needed to do was clean them up good, make sure nothing was broken or grossly worn out, and that the slide moved freely.  Good Luck.

tim bowers

Be careful with Amal carbs. If you over torque the nuts mounting it, to the intake,
you can warp the actual carb body and the slide will stick then also.

MonkeyBoy

Thanks Chief, sure enough the slide was stuck.  It's soaking now and hopefully that'll do the trick.  Carb was extremely clean inside.  Thanks for your time and reply.