Paint Remover

Started by Mick Milakovic, January 14, 2012, 09:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

What do you guys like to use to remove a couple layers of paint from our fiberglass tanks?  Does aircraft remover work well?  I've got a toaster tank that needs restoring.  Thanks!

Mick
Mick

rob w

Mick,
I would recommend to not use any type of stripper. A mistake I once made.
Fine sand paper would be my answer.
Bob

Mick Milakovic

Thanks Bob, does the stripper affect the fiberglass?

Mick
Mick

Gary Roach

Hi Mick,

One of my coworkers tried to use stripper to remove several coats of paint off a motorhome fiberglass bumper cover. Within a very few minutes, the stripper not only removed the paint, but also all of the gelcoat, and it also ate into the fiberglass. He spent over 8 hours in repairing the fiberglass just to get it back to where he could prime it. Let's just say that he won't be doing that mistake again!:D

Gary

Kip Kern

I don't recommend stripper but do recommend 400 grit sand paper or a DA sander and a lot of elbow grease.

Keith Meatyard

I once removed all the paint from a 1966 Corvette that I restored, and I remember you had to use stripper that was made for fiberglass.  It did not hurt the glass at all, and I remember that it didn't even hurt the factory GM primer coat.  I googled fiberglass paint stripper and found products that were made for the marine industry.  Klean Strip is one of them, and it is available at West Marine stores.  I would try a spot on an old air box or under the tank first, just to be sure.  As Kip said, the sandpaper on the DA works fine.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard