What's the best oil to use for 74 Penton

Started by johnacapp, January 12, 2012, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

To all,
Inching ever so closer to finally starting my 74 Harescrambler.
What is the best brand and type of transmission oil to replace Hi-Point Gear Lube?
John Capp

Steve Minor

Boy....you're gonna get all sorts of opinions. Personally, I use ATF (auto trans fluid) and change it often. I got that from one of my factory manuals.....but that's just me.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

KJDonovan

Steve,
You got that right, asking this bunch what we like for oil is like discussing politics or religion at work!  That being said, I like 80W Golden Spectro.

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
73 Yamaha AT3
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Denis Jeffries

I also use atf (auto trans fluid) in my 73 jackpiner and change it often.
 Denis

brian kirby

ATF Type F, for old Ford transmissions.

Brian
Brian

fastwillie8568

Kip Kern

Dwight Rudder

Steve Minor

Quotequote:Originally posted by Steve Minor

Boy....you're gonna get all sorts of opinions. Personally, I use ATF (auto trans fluid) and change it often. I got that from one of my factory manuals.....but that's just me.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC

Told you you'd get all sorts of opinions.....

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

sixdazed

Honda HP trans. oil-red color+ red bottle,so far has worked for me but haven't used it in the Pentons for a long time like i have in my Hondas.Before that i used ford atf in the Pentons with no probs.
                                                               Ric
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

checkcrew

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Paul Danik

John,

Your question about oil sure reminds me of days gone by.

I remember attending Penton Dealer School and listening to John Penton tell of the great qualities of the Hi-Point oils. He would always end up telling everyone about how he came into a fuel stop at a tough enduro with no time to spare, and that his crew had not arrived for some reason. He had to hurry and just grabbed a can from the row of cans sitting at the gas stop and filled his tank and sped off.

At the finish he was approached by a fellow who saw him fuel up and informed him that the can he used had straight gas in it, of course John was riding a two stroke. Back at the shop they pulled the top end and saw no damage, even though he only had a small amount of mix in his tank when he fueled up with the straight gas and had ridden hard to the finish of the event.

"Just try that with any other oil and see how far you get", John said as he finished his story.

Paul

johnacapp

Thanks to all!
ATF was what I was told just wasn't sure of what type (F) seems to be the choice.
John Capp