Pentons spotted!

Started by hankthecrank, February 12, 2012, 08:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankthecrank

Hey guys and gals. Heres the story. My wife and I went to dinner today. We live close to Parkersburg, WV and I know a great place to eat in Wheeling, WV. A cool place called Uncle Petes. Anyway, the best way , and the prettiest drive is up OH Rt 7 from Belpre Oh to Bellaire, Oh and across the river into Wheeling. We had a great meal and coming home, at dusk, in New Matamoras, on Rt 7 at an old Sunoco station, I spot a Penton in the window of the station!!!! One completly illegal u-turn later I pull up in front of the station. Yep, a Penton! And a BSA! And several more Pentons! And a couple Yamaha's! And a couple Ossa's! At least 1 KTM! I saw one Penton trials bike and 1 of the Pentons, orange tank, all I saw, had the tank signed, Ridden by Carl Cranke, 7/8/2000. I vamoosed, didn't want to alarm anyone at dusk peeking in windows. Anybody know anything about this spot? Gary? Kent? Kevin? If not I'm going back! As I left I spotted some pipes hanging from the rafters. Possibly some resto's going on or maybe someones personal shop. Any thoughts? Hank
By the way, I have driven this before , several times and not seen this. I know , I know, let the wife drive and always, always, look for handlebars.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Gary Roach

Hi Hank,

That building and bikes belong to a couple of really great guys, brothers Bob and Fred Ellis. They have some really cool bikes! They both ride vintage Trials, Cross Country, and Motocross events. Fred is usually a top 3 rider at the Vintage Days Trials every year, and is my go-to-guy on anything Trials related. Bob has backed down from racing over the past few years, but I think he's going to get back in to it this year. He and I used to battle for Overall wins in local Hare Scrambles back in the 70's and 80's.

Gary

hankthecrank

Hi Gary. Thanks for the reply. I figured you would know something about this. I will certainly pay more attention next time I go thru. Maybe I can spot someone in the shop sometime. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

conrad2

Hank, I did the same thing at the same building years ago. There is some really cool bikes in there but they have never been open when I have gone through. But neat "window" shopping!
Conrad

Conrad Pfeifer
1972 Penton Six Days
Conrad Pfeifer
of Mars PA, Home of The Paul Danik Presidential Library

hankthecrank

I've been talking to my brother and he caught them in the shop one time and stopped and talked. He was really fired up about the bikes!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart