73 JP Shock Length

Started by Mick Milakovic, February 03, 2012, 11:53:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

What length should the shock be?  The ones on my brother's original '73 measure 12-3/4", is that correct?  I'm asking because I don't know if they are original.  Also, what length are most of you guys running in cross country events?  Thank you,

Mick
Mick

Dwight Rudder

Mick Milakovic

Thanks guys, I thought they were the originals, but I'll look to replace with 13.5"

Mick
Mick

Kip Kern

Mick, Watch the chain rub on the front of the swingarm if going longer than stock.

pklinck

Greetings,

I have work performance shocks on my 1973 penton 125 six-day.

Sandy and i designed a set of shocks at 13 and 3/4 inches eye to eye while i positioned my shocks in the most layed down position at a 150-160 ibs. weight.  nice sage corresponding more evenly with the front suspension with a 5 wt. fork oil.  I use this bike off-road, not for motocross.  However, Kent Knudson, if i understand it with his sponsored riders goes as much as 14" eye to eye.  13 and 3/4 inches hase been working well and i have pushed that rear-end of my bike in the woods, testing it's performance.  Great improvement.

My question was that in fall of 1971, when the first cmf came out, were the shocks all less, or exactly 13" eye to eye? cheers,

peter klinck
peter klinck

Lew Mayer

It was an odd length, if I recall. Something like 12.9 inches or 12 3/4 inches

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer