MX race prep for 75 250 penton

Started by Kevin Jury, February 15, 2012, 02:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin Jury

Hi all, I am going to start on a 75 Penton 250 progect that I intend on racing in our VMX series down here in NZ, just wanting to know what you all think would be the best race prep modifications I should do to get the best out of this bike, suspention?? engine and pipe?? carb??
any help is most apreciated, Kevin.

brian kirby

A decent pair of shocks, a good set of tires, take off the lights (if it has lights). Not much else needs to be done.

Brian
Brian

wfopete

Make sure the bike is solid and reliable. Go through the bike thoroughly, checking for worn parts.  Ignition, compression and carburetor make it go, the rest let's it roll.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Mick Milakovic

Kevin,

Still keep tacking issues #15, 16, and 17 document how Kent Knudsen preps his championship winning Pentons for serious competition.  They go through all the frame, suspension, and engine mods used on the bikes of Kevin Brown and Gary Roach.  I will agree with Brian and Pete, that the best thing you can do is set up your suspension and maintain the bike properly.  I've done most of the things that Kent recommends, and they are overkill for me (I'm not that good [:I]), but I enjoyed having them done, anyway. It's all in the name of fun, so have lots of it!

Mick
Mick

Dale Sonnenschein

Can I buy back issues of still keep track?

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

JP Morgen

I have a copy of the porting and pipe specs. that work wonders on that bike, proven by Carl Cranke and many others. Send me your email address if you want them.

Kevin Jury

Thanks to everyone for the advice, I have more than enough information to keep myself well and truely in trouble, should be fun.
Kevin.