74/75 ISDT films

Started by Gavin Housh, September 15, 2009, 09:00:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianTaylor

Hi Jim  no I didnt suffer the same problem as the factory I think you guys were all using the new style down pipe and I was using the old style  my bike ran great ...... What happened to me was on the third day it was raining very hard  and very cold  I was running late due to conditions and I was trying to make it up on the road ..... some how I missed an turn arrow  and then picked up an arrow further down the road .... that day was a 2 loop day ...... I came into the check near the lunch break and I was told that I had missed a check control ... I said I was going to go back when a marshall grabbed me and told me " no way "  I explained I needed to go back  but because of the death of Bren Moran 2 days earliar the Officials were not going to take any chances of someone going backwards on a looped course ... thus ended my Six Days ..... Brian

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Jeff D

I seem to recall Bren riding one of those early 70s CZ enduros, red with black bazooka pipe, at one point in New England.  After '75 my home town enduro, the Somers Enduro (a NETRA run) changed its name to the Bren Moran Memorial for a number of years.  Since then it changed names again to the New England Championship Enduro (odd, since it usually is in April or May), and may be back to being called the Somers Enduro again by now.  One classic NETRA event that has kept its name is the Snow Run in February!
Jim H, I remember very well you coming out of a woods section near my boyhood home on Gulf Road in Somers on your factory Rokon and blasting up Gulf Road to the next trail section in the Shenipset State Forest.  Us local NETRA Jr Enduro kids rode those trails all year pretending we were as good as you A/National/ISDT guys!  Great memories.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Kevin Grimes

Just received my POG newsletter today, thanks to all that make it happen. I was thinking there would also be a ISDT DVD enclosed in the envelope. How do we get those?
                          Kevin

Dale Fisher

Kevin,  If you are referring to a new membership packet, a DVD has not been included in the past year since taking over the duties from Doug Wilford.  A review of the information on the membership web section mentions this and may need to be amended.  I'll investigate further [?]

Dale Fisher
POG Memberships
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
73 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

hotgrips

To Brian Taylor.  I read your nice 6 page story online today about the Canadian view of the ISDt effort at the 1973 Six-Days in the USA.  It was very well written.  I know that you rode a Rokon in the 1975 ISDT -Isle of Man and read that you retired on Day 3.  Did your bike suffer the same power loss as the other Rokons with carbon clogging the spark screens in the muffler?  i never read why you retired/

On Bren Moran, the American riding under a Canadian license in 1975.  He also rode as a Canadian in the 1972 ISDT in Czechoslovakia.  Bill Petro has ten wonderful pages of photos online from the 1972 Czechoslovakia Six-Days and there are 3 photos of Bren (Rider #61).  I can find my way there by searching on Google for Bill Petro Toronto Motorcycle Race Photographer.  When you click on his site I believe you go to Gallery or Portfolio, and click on Motorcycle.  Then scroll down to the events Bill was at in 1972.   Most of the photos are of Canada's riders but I believe I saw Jack Penton in there riding w/o helmet.  Thought I noticed New England rider Ron Webster (Ossa 240) with a green and white helmet too.  I rode as a "Canadian" along with at least these 3 US riders:  George Peck (MA), Ed Ortone (NY), Dave Mungenast (MO).

James Hollander
James Hollander

hotgrips

Here's the link to Bill Petro's ten pages of photos he took at the ISDT 1972 in Czechoslovakia: http://www.billpetro.tv/Motorcycle%20racing/motorcycle_racing/1972/1972_ISDT_page01.htm        Or if you get to Bill Petro's website, click on Racing,Motorcycles, scroll down to 1972.  He also has a section on the 1973 ISDT in the USA.

I believe I incorrectly stated Dave Mungenast rode as a "Canadian" in 1972.  I read today it was in 1974 in Italy as Rokon 340 rider on the Canadian Trophy Team.   :)

James Hollander
James Hollander

BrianTaylor

Hi Jim  no I didnt suffer the same problem as the factory I think you guys were all using the new style down pipe and I was using the old style  my bike ran great ...... What happened to me was on the third day it was raining very hard  and very cold  I was running late due to conditions and I was trying to make it up on the road ..... some how I missed an turn arrow  and then picked up an arrow further down the road .... that day was a 2 loop day ...... I came into the check near the lunch break and I was told that I had missed a check control ... I said I was going to go back when a marshall grabbed me and told me " no way "  I explained I needed to go back  but because of the death of Bren Moran 2 days earliar the Officials were not going to take any chances of someone going backwards on a looped course ... thus ended my Six Days ..... Brian

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Jeff D

I seem to recall Bren riding one of those early 70s CZ enduros, red with black bazooka pipe, at one point in New England.  After '75 my home town enduro, the Somers Enduro (a NETRA run) changed its name to the Bren Moran Memorial for a number of years.  Since then it changed names again to the New England Championship Enduro (odd, since it usually is in April or May), and may be back to being called the Somers Enduro again by now.  One classic NETRA event that has kept its name is the Snow Run in February!
Jim H, I remember very well you coming out of a woods section near my boyhood home on Gulf Road in Somers on your factory Rokon and blasting up Gulf Road to the next trail section in the Shenipset State Forest.  Us local NETRA Jr Enduro kids rode those trails all year pretending we were as good as you A/National/ISDT guys!  Great memories.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Kevin Grimes

Just received my POG newsletter today, thanks to all that make it happen. I was thinking there would also be a ISDT DVD enclosed in the envelope. How do we get those?
                          Kevin

Dale Fisher

Kevin,  If you are referring to a new membership packet, a DVD has not been included in the past year since taking over the duties from Doug Wilford.  A review of the information on the membership web section mentions this and may need to be amended.  I'll investigate further [?]

Dale Fisher
POG Memberships
74 Berkshire 100
70 Six-Days 125
73 Jackpiner 175
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Kevin Grimes

Oops my bad. This post started two years ago. I have the DVD in question. Thanks to Paul Danik for enlightenment.
                                   Kevin