EZ-Jim's

Started by seanguthrie, September 24, 2012, 01:18:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanguthrie

EZ-Jim's was a great turn out and a pretty sweet track for my first trip there.  The race experience did not treat me so well though.  I went out for morning practice and the bike ran great.  Leaky petcocks had me running with my gas off and about half way through the first lap the bike died.  pulled off noticed the gas was off turned it on primed that big old bing and I was back in business!  Got 3 really good laps in and the bike and me felt great.  Pulled back to the campsite and it just stops.  No sputter, no nothing just stopped.  Go to kick it and it won't move.  I figured it just seized, and after letting it cool and trying again my initial diagnosis was correct.  A friend loaned me his Rickman Montesa to go and try to salvage the day and get some points.  I leave the pits heading to the line for my moto when all of a sudden it sputters and stops.  I figured I hit a kill switch or the compression release but neither were the case.  Come to find out as I watch my moto leave the line the float bowl drain plug had removed itself from the motorcycle!  Pushed the bike back to him and we found a loaner plug to get the bike going for his later moto but my day was done.  Packed up watched my buddies race their final motos then hit the road back to Indy.

Now comes a 3 week scramble to get the Penton ready for Barber.  I'm going to try and pull the engine in the next day or 2 and gauge the damage.  A good friend that's a very good dirt bike mechanic and pro AMA flat track racer is going to help me if all we need is a top end.  It's a 1974 250 HS.  Is there anything special or tricks that my manual does not say that I may need to know before I start getting in to it?

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

chicagojerry

good seeing you there sean.  concerning your motor, make sure that you don't have some bottom end issues too, otherwise you will just risk your investment of new piston and bore. also, don't forget to drill the lubricating hole in the piston.its all explained in the piston box. in case you were wondering, you have to pull the motor from the frame to get the cylinder off. feel free to call my cell or email me if you have any questions that i can help you with.  
  chi jer  [8D]
cell 440 213 5146
[email protected]

seanguthrie

Thanks Jerry, I would have just run it up to you but did not know your schedule or work load before Barber.  If it turns out to be too much to handle it will make its way north for you to get to when you have time.

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

brian kirby

Dont expect a real track at Barber, its a perfectly flat bare dirt parking lot with some ribbon and hay bales. One of the best facilities in the world and the lamest excuse for a "track" I have ever seen.

Brian
Brian

seanguthrie

Brian, Barber was my first Vintage race ever.  I just started last year and Barber was my break in.  I plan on CC and MXing in the bowl if I get the bike done in time.  We're pulling the engine tonight, so I should get a good idea what my odds are.

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

chicagojerry

hey brian. as much as i have been a proponent of needing a better mx course at barber, last year was a bit of an improvement by adding that little rise section that provided a bump at least. the cc race was almost mile longer too after zahn lewis and i were able to get there a little early and help add some new stuff. we plan on running last years cc course backward. therefore the rocky uphill will now be a downhill.  hopefully i can get there a little early again and find a little more to add...  
 [8D]chi jer