Slide in the Slide

Started by Gary Smith, June 25, 2012, 04:21:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Smith

I finnaly got my 82 KTM togeather and running but with the choke lever on the bars pulled back all the way open it bogs past half throttle. Do I need to pull the small slide out and plug up the hole to make it run rite or do I use the lever to adjust the carb to throttle rite??? Gary Smith

TedG

If it is truly a slide within a slide, that second slide is a choke. It needs to be pulled up when it is warm. So pulling the lever pulls up the choke and lets it get air. If it has to be down to run you are not getting enough fuel. You can pull the small slide out. Seems strange you would have one on an 82.

Gary Smith

The main problem im having with this carb is the choke cable or adjustment of the choke is wrong period.The lever has a mark on it and I know it needs to be alined with the base somewhere so the small slide is in the correct place in the main slide.maybe the base is missing the stop?. When I pull the choke up the bike lopes at idle. Gary Smith

brian kirby

Just get rid of the slide choke and use the tickler.

Brian
Brian

Steve Minor

Those slide chokes are handy on long, fast straight-aways...You want to apply the choke to keep from causing engine damage. Then take it back off once you're out of the straight-away.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Gary Smith

I think what Im going to do is pull the back end off and then I can see where the cable needs to be at max when full throttle so I can get rid of the lean problem. I think the lever base lets the small slide go to far inside the main slide and the cavity is upsetting the mixture and air ratio.

socalmx

I raced D37 desert on a 100 DKW which I ran full throttle most of the time. I never did the choke trick and never had engine issues from letting it scream (fyi..ran Bardhal VBA at 28 to 1)

Gary Smith

I have been riding it and leaving the lever at half way anb that is the meanest 250 I have ever riding. Wow its like my 400B Can am in power. And she is runing a brown plug using prem pump gas and maxama 927 oil at 30:1 so i guess thats how im suppost to use it???