LIL info on a....gulp...jap bike

Started by Dave Withrow, June 25, 2012, 10:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

Just picked up a 1980 KDX 400 and upon doin a bit of research I saw JPs name come up more than once.  Don't know if it was Jack or John.  Does anyone know if either had any influence on the design of this bike?
Big Dave

paul a. busick

Jack P., Dane L.and Mark Hyde and one other were involved in the development on the 175 KDX. How much further up the displacement ladder I don't know.
Mike Rosso was instrumental in the development of the Suzuki PE models. He and Tom Penton were on the Suzuki team for the ISDT in Sweden.  
Amherst Paul

JCHubbard

You may want to drop Jeff Fredette a line too.
JC Hubbard

Jeff D

Carl Cranke and Kevin Lavoie might have been in on the big bore KDXs.  Seem to recall at least Kevin on a KDX at one of the Six Days, but I could be wrong.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Gary Smith

What ever you do dont let that bike run out of gas because you will have a WOT issue for about 30-40 sec. My brother in law had that bike and it happened to him multiple times and its because the bike burns a tank of gas fairly quick and before you know it your on a 400cc rocket that you cant shut off.That bike is a true widow maker.

wfopete

Dave,

Not to bust your bubble but I think Kawasaki only offered that bike for a year or two.  It had some problems but I can't recall exactly what they were. I believe weight was one of them. I remember going to trade in a 79 XR500 Honda on a KDX175, but there was a KDX400 sitting right next to it that was tempting me with big power.  Fortunately my buddy slapped me upside my head and said "Didn't that 500 teach you anything? You need light weight and less power".  I bought the 175 and never looked back.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

Dave Withrow

Pete,

At 6'4"-250 lbs I don't think a KDX 175 will fit the bill.  I've ridden the TM 400, the KTM 495, and the Honda 480, not to mention my 2 '74 Mint 400's......I think I'll be ok.
Big Dave

Rob Thatcher

My buddy had a KDX 400 for years, we called it the PP, Plastic Pig.  Very nice to ride, relatively light for what it is, low maintenance and good power, but not stupid power.  Great bike, I wish he had never sold it, would make a great post vintage cross country and MX bike