Even more interesting...

Started by MonkeyBoy, April 30, 2002, 10:04:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonkeyBoy

You'll have to forgive me, I'm new here in Pentonville.  I've been reading for an hour or more previous postings and learning much.  I have noticed a distinction between the GS and the MC.  Mine has a GS6 sticker but if I'm not mistaken it's more of a motocrosser because it has no head/tail lamp, just the basics.  At any rate, I'm not an expert at these things, far from it.  If you can help I'd appreciate it.  The bike was given to me recently and may have mixed and matched parts, I'm not sure.  Thanks for all your help.

Edited by - MonkeyBoy on 04/30/2002  10:11:08 PM

Mike Lenz

The 77 gs-6 was the mc-5 frame modified to be a frame breather.

MonkeyBoy

Mike, Thanks for your reply.  There are a few other things I've noticed that are different than other's Penton bikes including a 17 inch rear and Lectron carburetor.  

Chris Brown

There are just a few differences as the MC was the track bike, and the GS was the enduro. I didn't realize the GS had a high-breather frame. That's a new one on me.
I have the MC, it has an Acerbis airbox, it's open on top.

And the GS has a support bar over the rear fender for the extra wieght of the longer fender with light and plate on it.

Of course the lighting and speedo and it's drive and all that, brake switches etc. are on the GS.

However, as far as the motor, tranny, hubs, pipe, suspension, I believe they are the same. Mine had Bilstein shocks with a '78 date on them, so I don't know if they came on it new, or if someone put them on. I have heard of quite a few Marzocchi shocks used on the rear of some of them from that vintage. That could be a difference.

I also have since discovered that the side covers were different from 77 to 78. I guess I ended up getting 77 covers for mine; they were missing when I bought the bike. I had to fabricate lower mounting brackets to attache them to the bike. The mountin holes on the plate didn't quite line up.

I also did not realize the GS had a 17" rear wheel. I suspect that is not stock, however anything is possible.

Let us know if you have issues selecting parts.

Chris