I have an idea...

Started by brian kirby, September 01, 2012, 01:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian kirby

AHRMA has a bunch of "special awards", they are given to a competitor by class or bike type, for example, the Brad Lackey award is for the Sportsman 500 Exp National Champ, the Hailwood Cup is for Premier 500 Road Race Champ, etc. The Cross Country discipline only has one award, the Tommy McDermott Trophy for "outstanding performance in Cross Country". I dont even know who to talk to or how these awards get established, but I think there should be a Dane Leimbach Award/trophy. The most obvious choice would be the 100cc class Champ, but Dane also rode 175s a lot so maybe open it up and make his award/trophy for 200cc and under bike riders and change the Tommy McDermott award for above 200cc bikes. This could be won by someone in Classic or Premier, or any of the Age classes in addition to the 100 and 200 classes, all you would have to do is ride a 200 or smaller bike all season.

I think this would be an ideal way to memorialize Dane, by giving a trophy bearing his name to the outstanding small bike rider each year. Maybe Chicago Jerry could find out how these awards get established and try to get the ball rolling.

Brian
Brian

Jeff D

I like it!  Great idea, Brian!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

mike scholl

Brian,

There are actually two awards for the Cross Country Series. On page 90 of the 2012 AHRMA Rule book you will find the Tony Hendon Trophy. It's for the outstanding performance in the Post-Vintage Cross Country Series.

I also agree  with Jeff, it is a great idea!

Mike Scholl

brian kirby

Yep, I forgot about that one. There is actually one more for Female CC racers also. My idea was to have Dane's award for vintage or PV, and any class as long as the rider was on a 200 or smaller bike.

Brian
Brian

Rain Man

6 years later, the rest of the air filter oil story comes out.  I was there that year Bob, and some white curly haired Pentonite fella
(an HVAC Man) gave me 4 bottles of that oil. Thats just about the only piece of Penton trivia I own. Well that and 1 of Danes blue &yellow jersys I bought..
woops sorry to get off subject guys.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

sixdazed

Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

mike scholl

Brian,

Instead of AHRMA having to consider this idea what would your thought be if we could get the Penton Owners Group or it's members to sponsor the award? If the POG would in fact consider it The "Dane Leimbach" award could be presented at the AHRMA Cross Country banquet to the Penton/KTM rider that has the most earned point's in the Cross Country Series.

Mike Scholl