New toy, but not a Penton

Started by Rob Thatcher, October 11, 2012, 05:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Thatcher

Hi All,
I just picked up a craigslist special.  A 1973 Yamaha AT3MX, 100% complete, mostly original.  It is definitely not a beauty queen and has a stock AT1 pipe in place of the (extremely loud) stock MX pipe.  Looks to have original bars and grips, good tires, chain and sprockets (lubed!) as well as switchgear.  Cosmetically, not so much.  Seems to be decent compression.  I have been looking for one for a long time.  This was my first real motorcycle, and to find one locally for only $100, well, it had to be mine.  Pictures to be posted soon, prior to fix up.  Does anyone know if it is eligible for Classic 125?
Thanks
Rob

brian kirby

No, it has a reed valve so its in Sportsman, only the piston port AT1 is Classic legal.

Brian
Brian

checkcrew

Brian,

you know the Pentaha, it has the AT1-MX piston port motor W/points igition,

would that be classic legal ??

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

KJDonovan

Rob,

Sounds like a great find, looking forward to the photos.  Also wanted to mention that this is great topic in general, i.e. "Not a Penton but...", I'm guessing most of the folks here have other vintage bikes and it's always nice seeing them regardless of the brand.  

Below are a couple of pictures of craigslist special I picked up about a year and half ago ($75).  It was not running when I got and it had sat in the corner of my shop up until about 2 weeks ago when I finally had a couple of hours to look it over, anyway after some basics, carb clean, replace points and flush the cases it started up and actually runs and shifts like new.   After I got it running my wife came poking around, took it for a ride and announced that she wants it as a backup rider.   So I have been pecking away at it for the past couple of weeks, not restoring it, just fixing what is broken and attempting to make it a little more presentable.  Still have a ways to go, but it is getting there.  Again, not a Penton but, fun just the same!:D

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
87 KTM 250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

JCHubbard

Isn't it amazing what what $75.00 and some elbow grease can do!!!?? -- Nice job KJ!!
JC Hubbard

KJDonovan

JC,

Lots of elbow grease...but even more rust remover!  But I enjoy every minute of it!

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
73 Yamaha AT3
72 Montesa Cota 123
88 KTM GS250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by checkcrew

Brian,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Yes, it can even have a PVL as long as it is piston port and the chassis is also from a classic legal bike. At Unadilla I got beat on my 100 in Classic 125 by a guy with a Hontesa, a Montesa chassis with an SL125/150 engine in it.

Brian
Brian

checkcrew

Brian,

thanks for the info, the PVL would be the way to go :-))

on another note : the guy that beat you on the 71 Montesa 125 with the Honda motor is Tom France, he is the owner and President of American Classic Racer, check out their site : //www.acrmx.com
he is one of the smoothest racers i have ever seen, he also has a 73 Husky CR125 with one of the Honda motors in it and it flys :-))

thanks again,

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Brian,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Yes, it can even have a PVL as long as it is piston port and the chassis is also from a classic legal bike. At Unadilla I got beat on my 100 in Classic 125 by a guy with a Hontesa, a Montesa chassis with an SL125/150 engine in it.

Brian

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

checkcrew

Brian,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

KJDonovan

Rob,

Sounds like a great find, looking forward to the photos.  Also wanted to mention that this is great topic in general, i.e. "Not a Penton but...", I'm guessing most of the folks here have other vintage bikes and it's always nice seeing them regardless of the brand.  

Below are a couple of pictures of craigslist special I picked up about a year and half ago ($75).  It was not running when I got and it had sat in the corner of my shop up until about 2 weeks ago when I finally had a couple of hours to look it over, anyway after some basics, carb clean, replace points and flush the cases it started up and actually runs and shifts like new.   After I got it running my wife came poking around, took it for a ride and announced that she wants it as a backup rider.   So I have been pecking away at it for the past couple of weeks, not restoring it, just fixing what is broken and attempting to make it a little more presentable.  Still have a ways to go, but it is getting there.  Again, not a Penton but, fun just the same!:D

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125 (Project)
87 KTM 250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

JCHubbard

Isn't it amazing what what $75.00 and some elbow grease can do!!!?? -- Nice job KJ!!
JC Hubbard

KJDonovan

JC,

Lots of elbow grease...but even more rust remover!  But I enjoy every minute of it!

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
73 Yamaha AT3
72 Montesa Cota 123
88 KTM GS250
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

Brian,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Brian
Brian

checkcrew

Brian,

thanks for the info, the PVL would be the way to go :-))

on another note : the guy that beat you on the 71 Montesa 125 with the Honda motor is Tom France, he is the owner and President of American Classic Racer, check out their site : //www.acrmx.com
he is one of the smoothest racers i have ever seen, he also has a 73 Husky CR125 with one of the Honda motors in it and it flys :-))

thanks again,

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Brian,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Brian

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]