Penton Paint Colors and Shock Length

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, October 02, 2012, 07:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

I don't see a search method to check past posts, so I'll just ask. What is the prefered rattle can paint when doing fix ups of frames and such? What brands? Is there an acceptable paint for doing tanks, such as the yellow tank on my '73 Harescrambler? What about case paints? In doing Hodakas, there are some wheel paints out there that worked well, but I don'thave a good original case to compare with. Are the Cylinders supposed to be painted also? A 400 cylinder that I have looks like it's got silver paint peeling off. Maybe the same wheel paint here?
   And what is the stock shock length for a '73 Harescrambler? I don't think the units on my bike are original (look like Japanese bike type shocks) and I don't have any documentation on this bike yet but working on it. I want to see if something I have on the shelf will work, but want to be sure of the stock or recommended length.
   Thanks to all for all the help so far and in the future,
   Dan McEntee

marsattacks

I'm not an expert but If your tank is gel coat you might want to consider a restoration via multiple sanding and buffing.  The guys at rugginose are maniacs about saying that paint completely ruins the tanks (for aesthetic purposes).  Good luck.  Your shocks are 12.5 I would think but yes you can easily search for that via search function.
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

brian kirby

I hate painted gel coat tanks, its like painting a Picasso over with latex wall paint.

Brian
Brian

derek martin

For a frame paint try Rustoleum Metallic Matte Nickel #7277

Daniel P. McEntee

Ok, now I found the search function. Man! lots to read and catch up on! Sorry to clog up the list with repeat questions and I was trying to avoid that.
  As far as the tank, if you check out the photo in the other thread, it's got a pretty good silver paint job on it now. Some one went through a lot of work to do that with a coat of white primer under the silver. If you stand back a few feet, it looks like aluminum and when the previous owner sent me pictures, that's what I thought it was at first. I've been told that I should not use regular paint stripper on it, but instead there is a product for fiberglass, and that's what I'll look around for. I have a pretty good auto paint supply store near me and I'll see if they have something like that or maybe a boat shop.
  Thanks again for the help and suggestions.Gonna try and get it stripped down to bare frame for sand blasting tonight and tomorrow.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

Dwight Rudder

Stock shocks were black Girlings. 12.9" long.  Most use 13.5" shocks. I like Works Performance or Progressive Suspension.

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Dwight;
  WOW! That long on a '73 Harescrambler? I was lookinmg at the rear suspension while I broke the bike down, and need to settle on the length so I can order them up. From looking at spec sheets for shocks, 13.5" will get me right at the full 4" travel for a vintage bike. Everything else is a bit less. With my fat rear end, I guess I'll need everything I can get! The units on the bike are trash and I think are off a Jap bike, only 12" eye to eye center,
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee

Kip Kern

Hipoint Catalog indicates 13.5" replacement shocks for Steel tankers and 12.5" replacement shocks for CMF bikes.  Racers add an inch or so to their shocks. Good luck!