POG - a class act

Started by OhioTed, January 11, 2013, 08:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Dear Penton Friends,

Varied interests have recently diverted my time and attention away from POG, but I'm never far away in spirit.  

I just sent in my membership renewal and was pleasantly surprised to see a follow up thank you e-mail from Membership Director Dale Fisher.  Dale also indicated his intention to mail out to me the latest issue of Still Keeping Track.

I received the issue today, which included a very nice thank you letter from Dale, along with my updated membership card.  I just started reading the newsletter, but had to stop to write this.

The newsletter, as always, is excellent.  Prez Danik's editorial is a great tie-in to the upcoming JP documentary, and Bob Andersohn's Member Profile piece is tremendous.  I'm only half-way through the article, yet am overwhelmed.  Bob's story is just - amazing.

So, Dale, Paul, Bob - as with everyone in POG, you guys are real gentlemen, as well as a class act.  Thank you!

Rain Man

After all these years of being a Penton freak, I've learned to take a compliment and just say "thank you" !!
 (dont tell anybody how much you've spent on Pentons !!)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Paul Danik

Ted,

You comments are greatly appreciated :).  

In turn, please accept our gratitude for all of the video recording and capturing of Penton history that you and Reb have done over the years, let alone all of your creative writings....

Paul

Dale Fisher

Ted,
Thank you!  Involvement with this group and the opportunity to share our thoughts, experiences, and photos, have been truly a pleasure!

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

1970 Six-Day 125
1971 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's)
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Berkshire 100
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

OhioTed

Guys, I'm embarrassed that I left out a thank you to yet another well-deserving individual - Al Buehner.  Really, really great job on the newsletter, as always, Al.  

And, that's not to mention Al's tremendous contribution as a parts supplier.  I'm so grateful to Al for all he has done for me in this respect that I give him a big hug and a kiss every time I see him.  

Also gotta comment on Ray's reference to spending money on Pentons - I just say, "Well, at least they're not airplanes!"

Daniel P. McEntee

Also gotta comment on Ray's reference to spending money on Pentons - I just say, "Well, at least they're not airplanes!"

And what's wrong with airplanes???  Although some guys can really make a motorcycle "fly", in my experience I have found that quite often guys that are interested in one, also participate in the other. When I'm not beatin' on  motorcycle, I'm building, repairing and flying a model airplane of some sort. Everything from simple rubber powered models, to R/C sailplanes, and my main object of affection with wings is contol line stunt models. Full scale airplanes of any kind are of interest, especially air racing types. I have never been to VMD because the EAA AirVenture convention in Oshkosh, WI is usually the week following VMD and I'm a volunteer at Sohkosh and can't do both. I know several guys on some of the model
airplane forums that used to race back in the day on Pentons, Hercules
and Huskies. One guy out in Arizona named Randy Cuberly mentioned recently that he raced Pentons in the North East Ohio area. That name ring a bell?
  I also am grateful for and appreciate the mountains of help and advice I have recieved from the members here. Most recently ChicagoJerry alerted me to a '73 Penton H/S being parted out on eBay and I was able to snp up a complete GS exhaust pipe for my '73 H/S and a carb for another 250 project. Thanks a lot ChicagoJerry!
  Mike Winter has let me bug him quite a bit and has helped me out a lot with technical info and some parts. I hope I can return the favor to all you guys some day.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

OhioTed

Dan, thank you for commenting.  Please note that I meant no disrespect with the "not airplanes" reference.  Quite to the contrary, in fact.  

I just meant that, aware of the rigid standards and high quality (and associated cost) of aircraft components, our motorcycle parts are (potentially, anyway) less expensive.  

Agree with you 100% on the rider/pilot connection, too.  No doubt that many serious motorcyclists would love to be able to fly a plane.  From what little I've seen of modern model aircraft technology, there's is a lot of great stuff out there, should climbing into the real thing be out of reach.  I've seen multi-engine units, jets (including an SR-71 on YouTube), and one of my customers even showed me information on his functional Air Force One model aircraft.  It's the real deal, with four jet engines.  So prized, he has flown it just one time.  I've got his website info around somewhere, which features video footage of the plane in flight.  Incredible.

OhioTed

Another note in regard to Dan's aircraft comments.  I used to work with some guys who are pilots, and really into aircraft.  What a cool bunch of fellows.  

They were involved with, among other things, Ernie Carlson's "Sparrow" Ultralight program.  What a beautiful little aircraft.  Fixed-wing, enclosed cockpit, 2-passenger.  After Ernie passed on, the program shut down, at least locally.  I think my old co-worker told me they're being built in Austrlia these days.  Dan used to say that the Sparrow "wouldn't quit flying until you got under about 20 mph".  :D