Radaelli Rim Setups - shouldered

Started by pklinck, March 01, 2013, 02:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pklinck

I just purchased a shouldered replacement chrome steel, 18' rear radaelli rim commonly used on the 72-74 penton 125s but as everyone knows, does not have the bead bumps on the inside of the rim like the originals.  The inside of the bead on the rim is smooth.  I plan to use the bike for vintage racing.  I guess there are at least 3 choices of what to do but would like to know your feedback of others doing the same thing.  

We could;

1. tig or mig weld new bumps (how many? It is a 125 sachs motor).
2. drill a hole in the center of the rim by drilling holes on the inside or outside of the bead part of the rim???  The outsde would not be pretty...

Let me know.

peter klinck
peter klinck

pklinck

The second question I have is what was the color of the A spokes on the steel, shouldered chrome radaelli rims on cmf pentons from 72' to early 74',

- silver metallic
- silver gloss
- or gray gloss?

It is hard to tell the color looking at my old rims since the paint on the spokes has faded.

Clarification on the first message above, "3 choices" drill a hole in the rim for a rim lock, make more bead bumps or drill and install screws as bumps (the least attractive selection).   There must be more choices than three.....

peter klinck
peter klinck

Randy Kirkbride

Kip Kern

I second, Rim lock! one hole no worry, no thought:D