Head Questions

Started by Jdbglover, June 18, 2002, 08:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdbglover

I pulled the head on my 75 Jack Piner and noticed a number of about 20 small pock marks on the flat area of the head. I did not notice any pock marks in the spherical area around the spark plug. My question is 1) is the head ruined or 2) can the pock marks be sanded down with causing hot spots?  I belive the pock marks were caused by the crank bearings letting go, you can grasp the flywheel and move it a small amount in and out.

Thank You

John

john durrill

John,
 I have two heads that sound like yours. They both are working fine on motors now. It usually happens when a ring breaks. From your description it sounds like the squish area is beat up.I have had good results using a small ball peen hammer, the rounded end ,and gently tapping down all the high spots to as close as I can get to the original height of the squish area. you can use sandpaper if to see sharp edge but only remove the edge and nothing else.
if you see any pieces of steel left imbedded in the aluminum remove them as they can come loose on you and cause a bit of grief later.
Its hard for me to tell with out seeing the head. Usually you can re-use the head. carbon will fill in the holes over  time.
John