Black engine

Started by tomale, March 19, 2013, 06:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Several years ago a buddy of mine bought a Harescrabbler, with it came a black motor. Money being what it is we were never able to build the bike but We got to thinking about that black motor and thought that  It might help us to jump start the project if we did look see to find out the condition of the motor.
 I have a few questions about the black motor. I have been around here long enough to know  a bit about them but there are a couple of things that kind of haunt me.
 I pulled the top end off, the piston looked like it has seen some service but it was clean like someone had cleaned it up and put it back in the bike. It is on 1st bore. so that motor can't have too many hours on it. The rod looked like someone painted it blue, the whole thing.  It felt tight like it had new rod, nice an tight. On top of the cases in the transfer port area was a black looking ash, but the crank was clean. I pulled the clutch cover off and it looked like all the gears and the clutch basket was painted blue as well, could it be that they did the same thing to the transmission? took it all apart and painted the parts before reassembling it?  For what reason would they do that? To my surprise, there was no rust in the side cover or in the  transmission even though it has been sitting for a long time, and it had ATF in the cases which is very unusual for a motor that has been shipped cross country.  Any help would be great. thanks

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

JP Morgen

I have no idea about the blue paint? As far as black motor 250's, If they are ridden hard a lot, the center cases sometimes break around the right rear cylinder stud, and if you let the kickstarter return quickly and hard against its stop, the cases will break around the stop bolt. be gentle, and if you are going to keep it and ride it hard, buy a set of silver cases as spares. Good luck.

tomale

I am only doing this to make sure that it is not junk, I have a silver motor that we will use in the bike. the black motor will be sold for seed money to build the HS  which is a 74.5
Is the black motor have aluminum cases?
JP,
I have seen you ride and you do ride hard, nope I will never be able to ride hat hard again,  thanks for the help.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W