71-72' Penton Taillight Assemblies

Started by pklinck, March 30, 2013, 10:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pklinck

POG Folks,
Note the photos of this late 72 style taillight assembly.  I tried hard to find parts or a fixture which resembles the one in the photos.  I went to a trailer parts and sales shop with the taillight assem. and matched up 12V bulbs that fit the socket inside, 2 of them.  They did not have 6V bulbs, so the guy said to go to Radio Shack, and low and behold, they had 6.3V bulbs (see photo for part no.).  I think this are a type of flashlight slash trailer light bulbs, small to fit under the lens.
Question,: Rob W., is this an original assembly?  It is a double lightling fixture and note the small size of the bulbs.
I would be great if we could find a double lighting fixture rather than single lighting which you see in the trailer shops

peter klinck
peter klinck

pklinck

Rob,

Nice photo layout of the detailed enduro kits for the cmf penton bikes(minus the sprocket).  As well, the included photos of the two model taillights.  

Since the taillight assembly on the left is, as you say, original for the 72 pentons, but I noted, is only single lightling.  Do you think that then the doublelighting taillight on the right (Dietz 77-825) shone on my penton may have become the popular replacement since you can have the stop light bulb too?  Are there any sources for OEM production of the Dietz 77-825 taillight assembly or the equivelent?

peter klinck
peter klinck

pklinck

Rob,

fair enough.  However, even in the 70's, New England has been toughest concerning street legal dirt bikes for enduro competition while you road at your own risk as far as insepction goes.

Do you know of a lamp assembly today like the Dietz model; size , double lighting that is sold on the market?  The local Lucky's Trailer shop has loads of lights, but not double lighting.  I must be lucky then to have this Dietz assembly then....

peter klinck
peter klinck

Daniel P. McEntee

It is possible to have a brake light with a single filament bulb. You install a small resistor in the power wire to dim the light a bit, and add a bypass around the resistor that goes through a brake light switch. You just need to be sure the resistance value through the switch is less than the resistor. I think Dwight Rudder told me about that. This was good enough for most states back in the day, but not sure about now.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

fastwillie8568

The bottom picture is the same light I have on my 1973 Jackpiner