Front Brake

Started by seanguthrie, March 29, 2013, 07:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanguthrie

Is there any adhesive that may hold magnesium back together?  Dropped it while changing brake pads this morning and it broke.  I ran the cable through and it seems to hold in place and work, but under race conditions I bet it would fail.  If anyone has a front brake unit for sale I may be in the market.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

linglewn

No problem. Clean it first with solvent and then an abrasive down to the metal. Bend a U-shaped strip of thin sheet metal the shape of the unbroken bracket. Using JB Weld (or any good epoxy) replace the broken piece with the bent sheet metal over the bracket. After the epoxy sets up, I would bet that you can throw it on the floor and it won't break.

Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125
Nelson Lingle
73 Jackpiner
74 Jackpiner
71 DKW 125

G Ellis

I have one email me.Later Gary

Daniel P. McEntee

If you know a welder with TIG capabilities and has supply of magnesium rod, the old piece can be welded back in. I prefer to insert a steel rod the same size as the hole the adjust passes through, and build up new material. Reshape with a file ad you are finished, then paint. JB Weld is neat stuff, but won't hold the stress of a part like this. If you purchase a new backing plate, don't dispose of the old one. If no one near you to weld it, I can take care of it.
   Good luck and have fun,
      Dan McEntee

seanguthrie

Quotequote:Originally posted by G Ellis

I have one email me.Later Gary

Hey Gary I sent an email the other day.  Not sure if it went through our not.  If you didn't get it drop me a line at
[email protected].  I'll buy that brake plate if you want to let it go.  I have 2 weekends to get the bike finished before DD.  Thanks

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

G Ellis

Sent an email to you I need your address to ship this. LATER Gary