Steel Tanker Head Light Substitute

Started by Daniel P. McEntee, May 27, 2013, 07:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel P. McEntee

I've been trying to find something I've read over the past several years about a head light that resembles one or some of the units used on steel tankers. I think it was a moped head light of some sort. Bee searching evilBay for possibilities and I've looked at some Puch head lights that look close.. I'm just trying for something that looks sort right, and when I add the number plate it should look OK. I don't want to tie up a historically accurate part for some one that is doing a full on restoration. I'm just rebuilding this into a pit bike/play bike. I have an add in the classifieds with some photos (thanks to Mike Winter) and just need to replace one mounting bracket. I can't honestly remember what it was like when my brother and I were teens, if it had a metal light or Preston Petty unit, but I think it will definitely look cool with a sorta stock headlight and full number plates and I think my brother would approve.
   Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee

Daniel P. McEntee

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CEV-BULLET-STYLE-NON-SEALED-BEAM-Moped-Headlight-Puch-Motobecane-Peugeot-Tomos-/300692347521?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4602a91a81&vxp=mtr

I'm thinking this one if I want a brand new unit. Sorta looks like what I have seen refereed to as "bullet lights. Will post one more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jawa-Babetta-moped-HEADLIGHT-BUCKET-CAT-EYE-PUCH-MOPED-/251269149780?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a80cef454&vxp=mtr

This one doesn't have the rubber plug, but is cheap enough and looks sorta correct. I'm open to all opinions.
  Thanks a lot,
  Dan McEntee

marsattacks

If you decide to go with a CEV bullet style I have one for $40 shipped to you plus I will add a  plug for the opening where a speedo normally goes.  No biggie it is sitting in my garage.  I will be crazy for two weeks so it might take that long to ship.  Satisfaction guranteed or your money back less the shipping!  Good luck either way!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi John; I'll keep that in mind. I'm in no hurry, just in the investigation stage. Still gotta get the other mounting bracket but that may be taken care of. What kind of shape is it in? Does it have a replaceable bulb? I think most of this style do.
  Thanks alot,
   Dan McEntee

marsattacks

should be in perfect shape I will find it and post it.  Yes the bulb is replaceable.  Again no worries if in the end you want to explore this option let me know.  It prob will be a couple weeks because I travel for business some this week then off to the Isle 'O Man on Thurs.

As Winston Churchill is reported to have said when asked "Where are the Virgin Islands?"

He replied with something like this:  "I'm not certain but they are, I'm sure, far indeed from the Isle of Man."
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

Daniel P. McEntee

John; I'll probably  take you up on the offer when you get back, but if you get the chance post a picture. Have fun at the Isle of Man, it's someplace I have always wanted to go for obvious reasons. The guy that owns the motorcycle shop near me where I buy a lot of my stuff, has another customer that has an early 1900's Indian that competed in the early days of the TT races. It runs and was shipped over there a few years ago to participate in some sort of anniversary activity. He was also on the original ground crew for The Grey Ghost Unlimited air racer, when it was first raced during the final Cleveland Air RAce years. Motorcycles and aviation always seem to be tied together in some way!
  Thanks a lot, have a good trip, and I'll get with you when you get back.
   Dan McEntee

marsattacks

This is CEV 105mm headlight with a speedo cutout plugged with a plastic cap. It is as new. For comparison the Penton large ZKW or CEV lights were 130mm and the small bullets were about 90-95mm.

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi John;
   Drop me a line, as I don't think email through the site is working quite right yet, and I don't think I have your email address. Not sure what I want to do just yet, but might as well establish direct contact. I'll make a decision in the next week or so, especially if I get to spend some time on it this weekend. I got another mounting bracket from John Born, so I have what I need to mount a light on it now.. Glad to you a good trip and it looked like fun. Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks bigger than I thought it was, but I believe it's pretty correct for the year and good enough for my purposes.
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
   [email protected]

marsattacks

Done. Sent you an installed pic for comparison. It is no big deal either way it is just sitting in a box.  JEI
Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike