Steel Tanker - Headlight Installation

Started by iyaoyas, July 03, 2013, 12:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iyaoyas

Seems like a 'no-brainer' but want to check with the forum before I make any mistakes...

I'm wanting to install a small bullet style headlight on my '71 Birkshire configured with a Motoplat ignition.  The headlight I have is labeled OBEN on the glass lens and has a White pull switch on right rear end of the bucket near the bottom(as viewed when sitting on the bike).  

There's a short (6") Grey ground wire that I've connected to the headlight bucket mounting ear and clamps to the fork.  There's also Blue and White wires which are approx. 14ga., sheathed in a Grey cover and are approx. 2.5' in length.  When looking at the wire connections on the switch inside the bucket I see the White wire supplies the power from the switch to the bulb and the Blue wire is attached to the other switch terminal and leads out of the bucket.

The wire harness running out of my engine only contains 3-wires; Yellow, Black and Blue.  I'm pretty sure the Yellow wire is for the headlight so I'll assume I connect the long White headlight wire to it.  The Blue & Black engine wires connect to the coil with another Blue wire spliced to the Blue wire terminal and is connected to the kill switch.

So what about the Blue headlight wire...is it another ground wire or does it get connected to one of the other two engine wires...?

marsattacks

I cant help on the wires but I think you will find that oben means "top" in German.:)
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

iyaoyas

Hahaha...Thanks for the translation...and here I thought 'OBEN' was the key to solving this mystery.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

iyaoyas

firstturn

If you haven't got this figured out either email me or give me a number I can call you and help you.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dale Fisher

Don't know if these will help  [?]

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Richard Colahan

Dale...I posted a similar question regarding steel tank (v1225) era wiring back on 6/25, but unfortunately got no replies.
However, I think one of your photos can answer my question.

Can you confirm that your orange wire (it looks orange in the photo...perhaps it's yellow?) is the power wire for the lights?

Any advice is appreciated...thanks!

-Richard Colahan
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Dale Fisher

Photo in this case is for a standard points ignition.  
Red/Yellow or in this case faded to orange/yellow goes to headlight switch.
Wire for headlight bulb comes off opposite side of switch as does wire to tail light.
Green/red goes to stop light switch (if present).  

Motoplat diagram shows just yellow wire for driving light and describes a white wire for stop light switch (if present).

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Richard Colahan

Dale...thanks for the info!
Mine is points also...so this is just what I needed.

-Richard Colahan
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA