Sound check

Started by derek martin, August 18, 2013, 09:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derek martin

I just got my 74.5 250 back together and checked sound level with no extra sound deadening applied. I used a Radio Shack cat no. 330009 meter set on slow dynamic response and "A" weighting and had 95 dB just off idle. I followed the SAE J1287 test procedure; meter pointing away from the bike perpendicular to a line 20" long and angled 45 degrees from the center of the silencer. Bike has a stock enduro pipe with fresh packing with very little run time. Comments please.

derek martin

I slid a piece of inner tube about 2' long over the silencer angled toward the ground and checked sound level - no real improvement as it still reads right at the magic number just off idle. If the ISDTRR sound check is performed with the bike just off idle all is good.

derek martin

Pieces of heater hose between the fins, section of inner tube around head, piece of foam between motor and skid plate, rubber tube over kickstand spring, taped up brake rod spring, length of inner tube over silencer pointing to ground and fiberglass insulation  between right side cover and pipe have all combined to make for a fairly quite bike - hopefully good to go now.