Craigslist Penton Find-Rebuild and ride or restore

Started by Rob Thatcher, September 21, 2013, 10:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Thatcher

Back in July, right after VMD, I found a Penton 6 Days for a REALLY low price on craigslit in Virginia.  I got through to the owner first and got it.  He held it for me until this week, when I picked it up. He did not know what engine the bike had as the engine tag was missing.  I found it when I sorted out the parts last night and it has a 6A motor.

It really is a project bike.  It is taken apart to the bare frame. As far as I can tell right now, it needs one swing arm bushing and the pivot.  The shocks and fenders are not there, nor is the aluminum cover for the top of the airbox. The heat shield is missing for the pipe, too. The snorkel is there, however, as are the aircleaner cage and covers. The frame was sandblasted pretty well and needs minor attention, priming and painting. The gas tank should clean up nicely and the airbox looks good. The foot pegs look almost like they were never used.  The seat is complete with the trim and in good shape, with the cover still soft and no big damage or tears.

The engine has the top end removed, the piston is not scuffed, the engine was stored inside and is amazingly clean.  The parts include what appear to be a full set of seals, new rings and top end gaskets and a new countershaft sprocket. The chain looks almost new.

It came with the original title, parts manual and Hi Point Accessory catalog.  The Bing carb is there, the airboot is not rock hard and all the cables are there.  

One thing that appears unusual to me is the front wheel has a shouldered Akront rim while the rear is the Radelli. I know if I restore to show, probably both rims would have to be replaced.

I don't know much about the Sachs engines or 125's.  There seem to be a lot of them out there.  I would like to do a semi-restoration and prepare it for my son (or myself) to ride.  Don't these qualify for Classic 125 in Ahrma?

The boxes also included a bunch of tools, pullers and a couple of bags of Bultaco parts, bearings and bolts. He also had an old enduro roll chart and watch holder.

Michael, the guy who sold me the bike, used to race Monarks and worked for the Bultaco importer.  He bought the bike as I bought it and it just sat.  He says the back in the day it was a popular modification to take about an inch out of the exhaust pipe and he believes that was done.  The right side (ignition) cover is definitely cut, it now looks a lot like the KTM ignition covers and leaves the countershaft exposed. He even included the part cut off.

I plan on bringing the whole pile to the  October POG meeting for help identifying the period modifications.

Paul Danik

Rob,

Congratulations on your acquisition..

This project might involve more than the "wash and wax job" the Piner you got from that guy from Mars needed...[}:)]

The fact that he bike has a "snorkel" lead me to think it is a Steel Tanker, but most of the other info says it is a CMF machine..my guess is it is an early CMF....maybe you other guys already got this figured out...

Can you provide the frame number..  looking forward to seeing the bike in October.

Paul

Rob Thatcher

I am sure it is a CMF Sachs 6A 125.  The "snorkel" is the black triangular cover under the seat above the airbox to restrict water entry.  I'm hoping I can rebuild the engine without any real problems.  At least it appears to have been running when taken apart, not because an engine issue.  I do not have any ways to post pictures now, otherwise there would be some posted.  I counted 7 flywheel pullers in the box,  along with Sachs and Bultaco tools.

pklinck

Rob,

What is the vin number on the frame?

peter klinck
peter klinck

Rob Thatcher

I looked it over and got the vin.  Frame #20258069, Sachs 6A #6998044.  The threads for the swingarm pivot are pretty bad and need to be re-threaded, the chain guide broke off the the swingarm and was re-welded.  Other than that, pretty straight and in dire need of paint.  I spent some time reading the manual, pretty damn funny.  The funny part is that I can hear John Penton saying just what is written.

Paul Danik

Rob,

I remember sitting in my parents living room reading the instructions that came with my first Penton, what you are reading is pretty much the same text if I am not mistaken. Sure can echo your sentiments  :)  

I do think your CMF 125 would fit into the AHRMA classic 125 class. Love the idea that your son might be the occasional pilot :D  Everyone needs their own Penton Future Project to carry on the story, would be cool if you could bring your son to the POG meeting along with the bike. Maybe we could wheel your new project into the center of the meeting area....I do think those folks allow motorcycles in the room[}:)]

Paul