Did anybody race Grattan?

Started by Dave Withrow, June 25, 2002, 09:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Withrow

Due to a promise I made last winter(something about building a deck this summer), I didn't make Grattan.  How'd the Penton gang do?  Teddy?

tim bowers

Kevin Brown , won all his classes I believe.
I was there but as a spectator.

tlanders

Kevin did win all four races in the 250 and 400 expert. Also, Greg Troyan got two first places in the 250 sportsman novice class. Mark Schmidt was there with his mint 400 but I don't know how he did. Ed kubic was there with a Six Day. I entered the 125cc classic novice class with my Six Day and the 60+ novice class with the Hare Scambler and my son Alex entered the 250 sportsman novice class with his Piner. It is a VERY long story about what happened, and I posted it all on the Yahoo Vinduro group site. The end result of which was that Alex and I both missed our first heats because of working on the Piner which got a flat tire and lost it's ignition and he only got in 1.5 laps in the second. I did make the second heat of the 125c classic and was chasing the leader until I stalled in a corner. As it was I got third out of five. In the 60+ group of four, a guy on a 370cc AJS got me in both heats, so I ended up second for the day. I don't know what kind of engine it has. Can anyone shed any light on it? The guy just came out of retirement and he was fast. He didn't tell me which world championship he had won before he retired (giggle)!! I was really too tired to race. Kent Knudson, Kevin Brown, Greg Troyan and Ed Kubic helped us out physically and emotionally during our trials. My van broke down three times just trying to get to the race. Sorry for letting the Penton name down. Where were you Dave Withrow?????? We missed you!!!! Teddy

tlanders

PS The Vinduro site is neat. For those of you who haven't been there before, go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vinduro/

Mark Schmidt

IN RESPONSE TO GRATTAN MI. RACE, I DID RACE THEIR AND GOT 1ST PLACE IN THE 40+ NOV. CLASS ON MY MINT 400, I ALSO RACED BERWICK PA. AND GOT 1ST PLACE . I HAVE HAD A FEW PROBLEMS WITH THE BIKE TO WORK OUT, BUT WITH THE HELP OF KENT KNUDSON, KEVIN BROWN,AND MIKE GROSS I NOW HAVE A GREAT RUNNING BIKE. THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP. LOOKING FORWORD TO MID-OHIO.

1975 250 HS Penton
1987 XR200R Honda
1974 CR250 Honda Elsinore