Spoke question

Started by Paul Danik, November 02, 2013, 08:55:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

A friend doing a Steel Tanker restoration recently called Buchannon to order spokes, they said their spokes are listed as fitting the 73-74 125 machines.   Question is, will those spokes work on a later Steel Tanker, 70 - 71 ? The fellow doing the restoration is away from home on work assignment and wants to get the spokes ordered while away if possible so he can build the wheels when he gets a weekend at home.

Thanks,
Paul

Doug Knight

I have experience with Buchannon spoke and wheel. Measure the length you are trying to replace and they can verify what you need. Not sure if this is helping as I only had experience with '72+ Penton.

While not cheap the gang there work hard, I deal mostly with Angel there and has a great attitude on getting everything you want right.

Doug

Randy Kirkbride

Paul, I have ran into two different length spokes due to two different laceing patterns.

Mickey Sergeant

Need to know if you have a cross two or three pattern

Paul Danik

Thanks guys, he is away from home and can't check till he gets off of this job. I will pass the word along.

Paul

Dale Fisher

I ordered both my rims (CWC Stainless) and spokes (Buchannon Stainless) thru Speed and Sport.  Correct me if I'm wrong but the correct pattern is considered a cross four.  The outside spokes needed to be tapped with a plastic hammer for the proper angle.  Note the nipples are chromed and damage easily and apply some lubricant at installation prior to tightening.  Even with all of the above rust formed at the rim after a good dose of rain and dampness at VMD  [V]

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

thrownchain

That's a cross 2 pattern. From the hub to the rim, the spoke crosses over 2 spokes before it gets to the rim. (on the same side of the hub).

Lew Mayer

It's actually cross three because it crosses the first one right by the hub.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tofriedel

I agree with Lew.  It is a cross 3 pattern.

Tony
Tony

Mickey Sergeant

Thats a cross 3 pattern. Laced 2 rims last year with Buchannon spokes from speed and sport.

thrownchain

My bad, cross 3 it is.

Rocket

Not totally sure, but I don't think any of the steel tankers had a cross 3 pattern originally.  In fact, I believe most of the 72 bikes were a cross 2 pattern.

gooddirt

Cross Two; until the 32mm 7 inch travel fork and larger triples set up (72and halfish)  is what I have found.