Penton hauler opinions sought

Started by Paul Danik, September 27, 2013, 07:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The old Hipoint is just a tad small and I am in the early stages of looking for a larger enclosed trailer. I am kicking around the idea of barn doors on the rear instead of a ramp for a number of reasons, any of you folks have thoughts on this?  Also, I love the torsion axles on the Highpoint but wondered if it is a critical item in the eyes of any of you, possibly a smoother ride with less bounce with the torsion axle.

A single axle trailer is also a consideration because of the insane turnpike tolls, possibly a 7 foot wide by 14 would do, with a 3500 pound axle I don't think I would ever have a weight issue, especially with barn doors instead of a ramp and all the associated hardware. Looking now mostly at Haulmark and Carmate, any other recommendations?

Thanks
Paul

derek martin

I've had my 7 1/2 x 12 Haulmark low profile (watch your head when walking up the dropped ramp to get in the trailer) enclosed motorcycle hauler for 12 years. It's a tandem axle with the 3500lb Dexter rubber torsion axles. No leaks, all lights still work and electric brakes still work great. It has spent its entire life setting outside and has several thousand miles of race trips on it.  It is a heavy trailer and the extra width takes a little more care when pulling (wheels are outside the trailer body). These are good durable trailers but I would not get a black one as mine looked weathered the first year I had it and I would opt for an upgraded interior as my standard interior is lined with cheap fir paneling and was shoddily installed. It came with Pintel removable wheel clocks and has plenty of sunken tie down loops in the floor. I like the ramp door for loading and the side door provides easy access. I always thought tandem axles were better due to having twin tires on each side in the event you had a blow-out.
I'd like to look over one of the enclosed motorcycle trailers with a pop-out for a bunk. I've seen them advertised and setting on RV lots but never have checked one out up close.

slvrbrdfxr

Hi Paul,
My enclosed trailer has the barn doors in the back and IMO is the way to go. They open easier, have less weight/moving parts and you don't have to worry about being in a level area to let a ramp down. The barn doors can be opened in a tighter space when loading and unloading bikes too. One other advantage I found is the barn doors can be used as storage space. I've attached my tie-down holders to the barn doors so it keeps them handy when needed. I'll email you a few pictures so you can check it out. As long as you keep good tires on a single axle it isn't a problem either and saves on toll fees. I would stick with the torque flex axle as well because if you ever need parts they are easy to find at most any trailer dealer throughout the US plus they offer a great ride. When you're out shopping, you'll probably find most trailer manufacturers use the torque flex axle anyway as part of a standard build so probably a good idea to stick with what they know works best. My trailer is an Interstate brand 6x12 v-nose that I bought new in Aug. 2007. The main trailer box is 6x12 and the v-nose adds some addtional space up front which effectively makes it almost 14' inside. I can easily haul 4 modern bikes in it plus some odds and ends. http://www.interstatecargo.com/ It's been a very good buy and came braced for a roof a/c unit which I finally got around to installing last spring. I would recommend buying from them but don't think they have a dealer real close to Pittsburgh. I don't think Interstate makes a small v-nose trailer like mine anymore unless it's a special order but believe they still make a v-nose in the size you are looking at. IMO Wells Cargo and Haulmark are probably a couple other good manufacturers to look at. I would also recommend you consider a v-nose because they tow so much nicer than a traditianl flat nose trailer. Hope this helps. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to call or email. Good luck in your search !!
Dave McCullough

Bob Kent

I've had a 7 x 12 single axle and currently run with a 7 x 14 double axle, both PACE Americans from FAME RV in Saegertown.  I haul both my sidecar rigs plus Cork's scooter, with about 1 inch to spare.  If you do go with a single axle, you must have a spare tire.  I mounted mine above the right fender locked on the outside, which keeps all the interior room free for your motorcycles, or whatever.  I've put thousands of miles on both, with no problems and routine maintenance.  Good hunting!

Paul Danik

Thanks guys for your input, lots of valuable info.

Paul

Bob Kent

Paul - I'd also consider a 7x14 with a V-nose for less wind resistance and room to move around inside a little better.  I didn't get one, but wish I would have.  If Cork ever loses her agility, I'll have to get a bigger trailer.  The old adage is, you always need a bigger trailer than the one you just bought, so think big.  My rig is 53 feet now, and that's big enough!  Cheers.

LeeBuff

Paul,
  Check out Stealth Trailers, they have all aluminum super lite trailers. I got a 6 x 10 V-nose single axle with torsion suspension. I had it at the reunion ride and I'm very happy with it. They will build a trailer to your specs.    Lee Buffenmyer

Al Martin

I have a 2005 Continental Cargo 6x12 v-nose. The v-nose is nice because you can put a bike forward in the vee & then back a bike in on each side of it. 7' wide would make that a lot easier. I would think with 14' you could get 6 bikes in there, I can get 4 in mine as long as one is a shorter wheelbase like a steeltanker. I think a 7x14 v-nose single axle would be ideal, I don't think I've ever seen one, but one that size with the wheels inboard might be interesting. would be easier to get in tight spaces and should get better fuel mileage. I like the ramp door but can see the advantage of barn doors if you are unloading in tight or uneven areas. I always carry an assortment of wood blocking to support the ramp when open.

3putt

I would add just one thought, be sure the jack is mounted behind the hitch far enough so a pick up tail gate can be fully lowered without a problem even if the trailer and truck are not completely straight.  I have to be a bit careful with mine. Nelson McCullough

rogerboardwine

Paul, I am currently using a 20x8x6 enclosed snowmobile trailer by Rance that is aluminum. I wanted something smaller but the price was right. It is light enough that my Tahoe tows it easily with 8 bikes and boxes of parts. Upside; aluminum, well built, with lots of room. Downside; Towing it empty in high winds can be exciting but not that bad, twin axle (tolls),unfinished interior, 5'9" is maximum comfortable height inside.

Good Luck and thanks for all you do!
Roger Boardwine

Tinkerer, Trader and Lover of all forms of bikes, cars, anything with wheels!
71 Berkshire
77 GS-6 175
73 Jackpiner
74 250
16 Model T
82 Marguay
XS650 Hardtail
too many Hodakas
Soap Box Derby Cars
Slot Cars
Tinkerer, Trader and Lover of all forms of bikes, cars, anything with wheels!
71 Berkshire
77 GS-6 175
73 Jackpiner
74 250
16 Model T
82 Marguay
XS650 Hardtail
too many Hodakas
Soap Box Derby Cars
Slot Cars