F/Sale 1999 KTM Race of Champions 65SX

Started by Jeff D, June 29, 2002, 07:30:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D

OK, so it's not a vintage bike, but it's a KTM. This is my daughter's bike and I want to get her something bigger...like the VERY trick custom 2000 KTM 80 that's sitting at my dealer's shop right now...you read it right, an 80!  Built from a 65 but with custom bore and piston, RM-80 forks, extended swingarm...it's neat!  But I need some cash to go shopping, so my daughter's 65 is up for sale.  Here's the scoop on this bike:
In 1999 KTM USA prepped 15 identical 65SXs to be used in a Race of Champions series.  I believe it was a 3 race series at Ponca City, Loretta Lynn's, and someplace in California. The top 15 65cc riders in the country were invited to come ride...kind of like the IROC races I guess.  Anyway, only 10 could commit to the series, so bikes 11 through 15 were used as practice bikes and scavenged for parts when needed.  
I have the #11 bike and when I got it, it was missing cables, pipe and throttle assembly.  KTM sent new stuff which I put on.  The bikes were all prepped with very desirable aftermarket accessories as follows:
FMF Fatty pipe, FMF Power core silencer, White Power 40-220 piggyback shock, Answer 909 bars, K-Style graphics package...all told close to a grand worth of goodies.
I have added the following:  Flatland racing pipe guard and glide plate, and No-Toil filter.  Just added Champion Cycles spec jetting (230 main, 35 pilot...stock is 200/30) which added 1.5 hp on their dyno.  I haven't tried it out yet!
The bike appeared to have less than an hour's ride time on it when I got it, and my daughter has put no more than 20 total hours on the bike in the 2 years we've had it.  The only race track it has been on since we got it has been a vintage grass track.  I seriously doubt she's had it out of third gear.  I'm the only one who's had it up on the main jet in the past 2 years, and then only briefly.  Still has original tires, chain, sprockets, etc., all of which are quite servicable as is.  Purists would probably replace the chain, but the sprockets look brand new still.
I will include a new front fender as the OEM fender is autographed by Mr. Penton and Shane Watts, and I'm not about to let that go!
This bike is ready to ride or race..needs nothing but gas and someone to swing a leg over it.  Only difference between it and the 2000/01's is that it has a drum rear brake and the new ones have a disc back there.  It has a disc up front w/stainless line.  I'm not going to Mid-Ohio, but can probably find a way to get it there, or we can talk Forward Air, Dirt-n-Dune or other options.
If interested, email me at [email protected].
Jeff DeBell, Overland Park, KS

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell