Wassell Penton Help Please

Started by imported_n/a, February 05, 2014, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Hi, I live in the UK and have bought what I think is a Penton. I'm picking it up at the weekend so don't know the frame number just yet. What I do know is that it has the cast iron barrel /square finned head. It looks like a mudlark, however the chap who has it said the tank was previously painted half orange. It also had orange side panels and Preston Petty plastic mudguards. He thinks the tyres could be original and they are more of a trail wide block pattern than a trials pattern. The frame is not a motocross style. I think it looks very similar to the bike on your featured bikes page for 'Feb 2003'. Can anyone tell me anymore about that bike?
I also have a Wassell Bantam which is frame number 63. Supposedly only 50 were made so I wonder if they didn't start at number one. Does anyone know of a Wassell Bantam with a frame number less than 10?
Look forward to hearing from you.

sixdazed

Sounds like a Woodsman? Maybe others can chime in on this-does it have a left side up pipe (looks like a Husky 125 pipe)?Do a search for Penton Woodsman then the 3rd result/thread down is woodsman questions-there a few pictures in there you can look at.
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

imported_n/a

Thanks for the reply, the pipe is on the left with muffler running down at 45 degrees and then a small horizontal tail pipe. I've looked at the Woodsman pictures and although the side panels are the same design orange with thin black border and the tank could have been the same the rest of my bike is more like a mudlark. The Woodsman frame looks like it turns up behind the large seat (mine doesn't). As I mentioned,  the picture on your featured bikes page of the bike with the orange paintwork (but no lights) looks like it could be the same, is that also a Woodsman?
When I get it back home I'll get some pics taken