help

Started by 242, March 31, 2014, 11:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What brand of engine paint is now being used on the early 175 black motors? Rebuilding a 72 black 175 and can't find anything around here that useable. Dave

DKWRACER

Hi Dave! You might try VHT Brake caliper paint, satin or gloss...
Adios, Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Thanks Tom I'll check out auto Zone.

Also in need of 74.5-75 side covers. I liked the ones Tom had as they were easy to paint. How about the ones DC sells, do they paint OK, how close is there colors if used as is.  Also they list them for $64.95, is that a set or each?  Dave

Keith Meatyard

The engine paint that I have found that matches very well and seems to be very durable is JP1 Satin Black Spray cans.  I buy them at the local motorcycle shop.  Spray three separate light coats about ten minutes apart per the directions.  If you can set the whole motor (or the painted parts) in an old oven and bake it at about 120 deg F for at least an hour, it will cure nicely.  You can see the results on the pictures of the last two Jackpiners I restored in the "What did you do to your Penton today" thread.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

derek martin

I recently painted the yellow backgrounds on a set of DC Plastics side panels for an IT200. I used Krylon Fusion plastic paint and wiped the panels off with alcohol before applying. Paint adhered very poorly flaking off easily. Paint may have stuck better if I had roughed up with a Scotchbrite pad - don't know.

Keith I found some JP1 paint but didn't get it because I was looking for gloss. Liked your motors, I'll go with the Satin. derek I used yellow number background, cut to fit on my IT 200 never had any trouble but don't remenber where I got it. It was N style. Dave

brian kirby

Paint, even Krylon Fusion, wont stick to whatever kind of plastic DC uses.

Brian
Brian

derek martin

Fusion paint sticks great to old Yamaha OEM plastic - I used it for the yellow backgrounds on a set of original side panels on a 77 IT175 I did a couple years ago. I didn't have very good luck with home made yellow vinyl backgrounds on a set of DC Plastic side panels for my IT490 five year ago so I thought I would try painting this time - bad deal. Dave - were your IT200 side panels DC Plastics?

Yep I got them at vintage days. The background I used was real heavy and sticky. I,m doing a orange 1975 125 with KTM motor, as I can't find anything else I may have to use DC. I wonder how the color will match. I'll be down your way Friday, my wifes uncle passed away today and going to funeral. Herbert Miller a farmer from Junction. Dave

derek martin

Thanks, Dave - I'll set about scoring some N style yellow background.
Sorry for your loss - any relation to Stan Miller from Ridgway?

I think that was his dad. My wife was Diane Miller from Eldorado and a sister Julie. I lived in New Burnside for 13 years and met her when I lived there. Moved back home to Lawrenceville in '96. Dave

thrownchain

PJ 1 makes the Satin finish black paint in high temp, and also has a high gloss version. I get mine at the local Yamaha shop. I use the Satin on Jap motors, works and looks good. I toss mine up on the wood stove to heat cure. Do several light coats.

Kip Kern

Ditto, PJ1 Case Black

derek, I found some of the yellow background its made by 3M not N/style. I made a decal for my Clark tank on my IT 175 and its been on for 2 years or more. but don't know where I got it????. I found two aluminum '75 side covers, but there dented up. Hello Gary. Thanks everybody I found the paint a auto shop.