Cleaning Steel Tanks Inside

Started by Mick Milakovic, March 19, 2014, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

Hi All, I recently bought a 1971 Suzuki TS90 for $100; complete with title all the chrome in decent shape, lights, perfect seat and tank, worthy of restoring.  Anyway, the tank had some old gas smelling like varnish, but it wasn't sludge-filled.  How do you guys recommend I clean it out?

Mick
Mick

Daniel P. McEntee

Just use some cheap white vinegar from the grocery store, That is what I use to clean tanks and remove rust. Rust takes a while, but if it's just old gas, maybe a good over night soaking, then pour off the vinegar back into the bottle to reuse. Safe for paint and your skin.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

G Ellis

Bring the bike I might have to have it.. Does it run?

Mick Milakovic

Thanks Dan, I'll give it a try.

OK Gary, seems everything I have winds up at your place sooner or later!

Mick
Mick

454MRW

Pine Sol works well on carb cleaning. If the tank isn't rusty, I would try it. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

iyaoyas

+1 on the Vinegar...I usually use a 50/50 solution with tap water.  Be sure to remove the Aluminum petcocks...

-Stephen

jasonlamar

I cleaned a steel BSA tank that had a few inches of varnish in it starting with washed river rock.  No need to dilute vinegar.  It is already quite dilute.  Always keep acid away from aluminum as was just noted.  It makes hydrogen gas.  I was trying to help someone who wanted to acid etch his steel tank. It didn't occur to me that he was going to pour the acid out into an aluminum paint pan.  I am glad I told him to do it outdoors.  :)

Daniel P. McEntee

The nice thing about white vinegar is that I have never had an immediate reaction with it to anything. Even rust takes some time. I can't remember if I had any problems with aluminum or not. At 2 or 3 bucks a gallon and it's reusable, it's quite economical. I fill the tank and let it soak, sturning it over and slosh it around every now and then. Once that has stewed a while, I add aquarium gravel (mainly because I had a bunch of it), and shake that around as much as possible. Once that had done it's job, I flush out the vinegar with water, then with water and baking soda to help kill the residual acid, then flush with alcohol to remove any water. Then I flush with some premix, and have never had a tank rust on me again as long as I have had some fuel in it. I got the idea from another guy on VINDURO to construct a rotiserie device from an old BBQ pit and mount that to a 2X6 board. Then you can attach the tank to the board and let it turn slowly, like a rock tumbler. I just haven't had the tine or the need to do that yet, but the theory sound logical.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

brian kirby

The "active" ingredient in Pine Sol is a very mild acid, and you can use it on aluminum. Thats why it cleans carburetors so well, the pine oil dissolves the petroleum and the acid etches/cleans the metal. It should work equally well in a tank and is also reusable.

Brian
Brian

KJDonovan

Daniel,

I like the rotisserie idea. I use an old record player set on an angle and just bungee cord the tank to it, add in my solvent and screws, set it on 33 and come back in a couple hours, tank is clean and shiny!  Rotisserie sounds like a better way to go, though, spins a lot slower.  

One thing I would add that I was reminded of either here or on another site, when you are using something like a rotisserie or record player to rotate your tank, make sure you use a non-flammable solvent in the tank with whatever medium you put in there (screws or rocks).  I used to do this with acetone and sheet metal screws and someone, correctly pointed out to me that the medium could make a spark and blow up the tank.  I now go the Pinesol route, don't need to level the shop to clean a tank!

Thanks,

KD

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
72 Montesa Cota 123T (Another Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

SouthRider

Whatever chemical you decide to use - also put about a dozen old nuts in the tank before you put the cap on to slosh it around - does a great job of helping the solution "scour" the tank.

Just make sure you count how many you put in - and don't get too exuberant about sloshing so you don't dent the tank from the inside.

Lastly - when you are finished. Soak the tank for a week or two in a 5 gallon bucket filled with hot water, 1 scoop of spic n span, and about 4 "glugs" of mineral spirits. Every couple days carefully pour the sludge off the top.

When the sludge stops forming you are ready to go. If the tank is exceptionally bad change the solution and do it again.

By the way - that solution is the absolute best way to clean a dirt bike after riding too.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax

jcsmith

I used CLR in a Puch moped tank that was quite rusty. I filled it 1/3 full, plugged filler hole and petcock hole with rubber stoppers. Every other day for 1 week I rotated the tank 1/3 of a turn. It came out squeeky clean.This tank also had residue with the old gas smell. Any one ever try CLR?

Chris

1974.5  Mint 400
Frame 54 410 78640
engine 4 5500708
1974.5  Mint 400