Sachs Engine Finish

Started by Cal Alexander, March 18, 2014, 09:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

Guys, currently working on rebuilding and restoring two 125 Sachs engines. I bought one of the engines out of Florida and it looks like it was pulled right out of the swamp. Very tarnished but seems to be a very low wear / low hour motor. Would appreciate any tips on cleaning / restoring the engine cases, cylinder and head.  I'm wondering if its best to clean and polish them and leave them uncoated or paint / powder coat. Would appreciate if some of the "old pro's" could weigh in and share their experience on this.      Thanks - Cal

75 250 MC
73 Six Day
72 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Kip Kern

Cases and covers; completely disassemble, degrease, glas bead blast, wash and let dry, alumablast paint and clear lightly, reassemble.  Zinc plate case screws.  Cylinder and head, degrease, blast, bore and fit piston, wash and dry, lightly clear-no paint. Replace all gaskets and seals in the process. New Engine:)

Cal Alexander

Thanks Kip, will give it a go. That engine out of Florida needs some major TLC.

75 250 MC
73 Six Day
72 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

danvitaletti

Cal
Here is another alternative to make your engine look like new, vapor blast.
Vapor blasting is a non aggressive process that removes oxidation, staining , grease and corrosion by products. Un like dry glass bead blasting, it does not leave a porous surface that easily stains or leaves abrasive particles behind to damage your engine.
The resulting finish is superior to chemical dips, soda blast or scrubbing with wire brushes.
I offer vapor blast service and have processed several POG members SACHs engines with successful results.
If interested , check out my website //vaporblastsolutions.com
or call me at (505) 946-7097
I would be glad to do several free sample parts, if desired to introduce you to this amazing restoration process.
I have been racing and restoring bikes since 1967, and found this is the best solution for metal pollution.
Thank you

Dan Vitaletti
Dan Vitaletti

Rob Thatcher

Dan did my engine cases and they look awesome.
Here are a few pictures.
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]

Cal Alexander

I just received my Sachs Engine Cases, Cylinder, Head and Bing Carb back from Dan Vitaletti who vapor blasted these for me. I'm very impressed with the high quality finish from this process. Dan's also great to work with providing a quick turnaround and high quality work at a reasonable price. Would recommend using Dan for you aluminum part restoration.

75 250 MC
73 Six Day
72 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day