Spokes for Six Day Restoration

Started by Cal Alexander, February 23, 2014, 10:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

Guys, I'm in the middle of restorations on two Six Day Pentons. A 1972 and a 1973 Bike. I'm in need of some spokes for the bikes and was wondering what the best options are. Al B. has some standard steel spokes in stock. I'm wondering if there are Chrome spokes available out there to dress things up a bit. I've also considered Zinc coating the steel spokes. Anyway I thought I would ask the pro's for what the best options are. Thanks in advance for the advice/guidance.

75 250 MC
73 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Dale Fisher

I have used Walridge Motors in Canada.  They offer both Radaelli rims and spoke sets in galvanized and stainless.  The galvanized spokes showed spots of discoloration after one season in the unheated garage.  I used stainless on the next project with good results.  Both come with steel nipples which can and do rust especially after a good downpour.  Chrome on the Radaelli rims is fair.

http://www.walridge.com/

The second source is Buchanan Spokes although I personally have not gone to them directly.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Cal Alexander

Thanks Dale I will give them a try. I can also use a Radaelli rim as well rather than trying to rechrome the old ones.      - Cal

75 250 MC
73 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

gooddirt

Early 1972's had the shorter Cross two pattern spokes.

jasonlamar

I love this site!  All I have to do is search and someone has already asked my same question.  Thanks for the info Dale.  Are those pretty typical prices?  Everything I touch on my '73 Six days seems to need repair in some way or another.  It will just make riding it for the first time that much sweeter :D

hanksie

Hey Guy's, Just my 2 (maybe 3) cents worth here,but didn't the CMF bikes come in with painted spokes & platted nipples?  Bill

Keith Meatyard

I've restored three 1973 Jackpiners so far, and all three had the silver painted steel spokes, zinc plated steel nipples, and the high shouldered Radaelli chromed steel rims, all of which required re-finishing (spokes) and re-chroming (rims) to be show quality.  Al Buehner had NOS nipples, and the spokes can be glass beaded, metal etch primed, then painted silver, and baked in an old oven.  The Walridge rims do not have the high shoulders like the originals.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

mikerichards

I'm restoring a 125 and in the process of ordering a set of stainless steel spokes from Buchanan.  Have the new Akron polished rim so I'm sending the rim and hub to Buchanan for the proper fit.
The new spokes and nipples (36) cost 100.00.  They are not polished but will do this and mount and true it. FYI

Mike
Daytona