Hare Scrambler shocks

Started by Andreas Piepke, March 13, 2014, 10:38:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Piepke

Hi all,

I am restoring a 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler. I am looking for a pair of shocks that I can use off road. I found that people seem to use Progressive 12 Series. The bike's instructions list Koni 76 F 1282-SP30 (12-7/8" long). I found that a manufacturer named Ikon apparently has taken over the manufacture of Koni motorcycle shocks. Do people have experience with those two types? Are the Ikon's worth the extra $100 they cost compared to the Progressives?
One last thing do people know the proper mounting for the shocks? My bike doesn't have any I could use as a template and I would hate to buy an expensive set of shocks that in the end doesn't fit. I guess the SP30 designatin for the original Koni shocks identifies the mounting.
I would appreciate any knowledge or experience you might be able to share with me.

Thanks

I got no responses on this one. It would be great to get some data on Ikon  7610-1282 shocks (or better the Koni original): what are the inner and outer diameter of the top and bottom monting eyes? What is the thickness of the eyes? What is the outer diameter of the springs (to be sure they clear the wheel)? What basic spring rate are people using?

Any guidance people could give me would be great.
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

brian kirby

If you want to regularly ride the bike off road, you need Works Performance, Ohlins, or Noleen (Marty Tripes) shocks. Progressives are OK, but they are not rebuildable, I dont know anything about Ikons nor do I know anyone what uses them so I cant help there. Get at least 13.5" long if its got the multiple mount swing arm, if it has the early swing arm with just the three holes close together like a Sachs engine CMF then get 14.5" shocks.

Brian
Brian

Mick Milakovic

I agree with Brian, Works and Ohlins are the best, Progressives the most affordable.  I'm always looking on eBay for the right length, rebuildable shocks, also Curnutts.  Why do these things have to cost so much, Dang! [B)]

Mick
Mick

Andreas Piepke

Thanks a lot for the guidance! My bike (a 1973 250 with KTM engine) has a swing arm mounting rail with three holes. I would attach a photo if I knew how.

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

brian kirby

OK, I think the stock shocks were 12.9" or something like that, almost everyone that is going to ride/race one now gets at least 13.5" which raises the rear end a bit and sharpens turning. Here is a pic of my '72 175 which has the same swing arm as your bike with 13.5" Works Performance shocks in the front of the three mount holes.

And this is the same bike with 14.5" Works Performance in the rear hole.

Either length will work, but 13.5" is the most common length on Vintage bikes.

Brian
Brian

Andreas Piepke

Thanks! Nice pictures. Was the one of bike 43F taken at Barber's? I went to Barber's Vintage Festival last year and decided that I need an off road bike too. I really liked the atmosphere.
Obviously there is a way to attach photos. I can't seem to be able to figure out how. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Andreas
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

brian kirby

Yes, that was Barber '08. I was there last year, I raced my '74.5 Penton 250 and '82 Husky 430WR in cross country and the Penton 250 in MX.

Brian
Brian

brian kirby

Brian

seanguthrie

I always wondered if it would do me any good to move my shocks back a spot or two.  Corky Root made me move them up at Tech inspection last year and I just never changed them.  Is there a benefit to having them where they are or should I lay them down a bit?

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Andreas Piepke

Hi All,

Despite the lack of experience with this product I ordered a pair of Ikon shocks for my 1973 Hare scrambler (for $380). Ikon took over the production of motorcycle shocks from Koni, using their designs. An Ikon engineer helped me select the right product after I gave him the Koni shock part number, recommended by Penton back in the day. The shock was then built to specifications, bushings supplied, spring selected according to my weight. These shocks have progressive springs and are rebuildable. Apparently the internals fit many vintage Koni's too.
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/andreas_g_piepke/media/Penton/100_3102_zps1f54f590.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

The shocks fit well without any alterations needed:
http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/andreas_g_piepke/media/Penton/100_3107_zps7e650764.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

I hope they work as well as they look!

Andreas

\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Mick Milakovic

Andreas, they look good, too!

Mick
Mick