exit strategy?

Started by OhioTed, November 01, 2014, 07:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Friends, we've lost a lot of people recently, and for me it's now hit close to home.  Another sibling has passed, which has us down to three from the original seven.  Very sad situation, made worse by the fact that beloved had no plans in place for those left behind to wrap things up.  

I've only got one heir, and I don't want him to go through what I am currently dealing with.  Have the financial part covered, but what about logistics?  Like many of us, I've accumulated a lot of "junk", which after I'm gone must be processed.  The boy don't have a clue, so I'm thinking I've got to get a set of guidelines written down and some level of prearrangements made.

Anyone know of a specialty auction house or something which could properly handle our particular type of junk so that the heir don't get taken to the cleaners?  I don't want some area chucklehead outfit selling it all off for pennies to nothing but local yokels.  

Surely someone out there has knowledge and/or experience to pass along in this respect.  Some help, please?  I figure this is probably the last important thing I need to do in my life.

firstturn

Ted,
  Since I have had several close calls with Medical problems here is what I did.  I have certain bikes, karts and guns that are going to Friends or Family.  As far as bikes I have a Friend that is in the business of used bikes and parts that I will be given a nice percentage to sell of everything else or donate to a Museum.  It isn't easy since I am helping the Widow of my Friend Ed James clean out his old shop.  Hope this helped Ted.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

desmond197

I have a book with each bike and what it is worth and the best places to sell it. All the brochures and parts are cataloged. I deal with estates as an classic car appraiser all the time. It can be a real mess.

Dale Fisher

A couple of years back a large collector of cars, motorcycles, and boats passed away on the East coast.  As I am told he had the opportunity to make his wishes known before passing and put one individual in charge of liquidation on an auction at the highest price only basis.  You may have seen many of the bikes listed on Ebay by the seller kflash based in Maine.  He collects a few of the machines at a time, wakes then up if possible, and asks some fair first bid pricing.  He currently has a number of the collection at auction including a well used steel tanker.  I worked on him to join back up with the group while picking up a bike as he has a very nice personal 250 Harescrambler.  Highly recommended seller IMO.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,