steering dampers

Started by rob w, July 09, 2002, 12:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Has anyone installed a steering damper like a W.E.R. on their Penton. I have seen that some of the MX guys just tighten their steering down so it turns hard, but I'm pretty sure that's not what I want to do. Overall it gives it a different effect. A ahrma offical told me he wished more people would think about it, because it might make the sport safer. I don't know, but I would like to talk to someone that has done it before I try. Those things are expensive first of all. rob w.

rob w

I forgot to say I'm thinkng of a "74-75", 250 & 400 when I'm talking about this, but your imput on any model would be appreciated.

tlanders

Are they legal to use? Teddy

Heinz Raidel

Two things:
First, tightening down the fork stem bolt(or the old knobs located on the stem on dkws) is bad bad bad.  It slows down turning at slow "bar turning speeds", the opposite of a modern hydraulic damper.

Second,  perhaps the AHRMA individual was refering to the road racing enthusiasts when he advised the use of steering dampers.

Third... i never saw such a thing in the day,  seriously doubt their legality at AHRMA.

Fourth... and most important...  compared to other machines of the time... did anyone have steering problems with a Penton????
\\"Sometimes the only mark we make in life is in our shorts.\\"

rob w

Well, I found out that they are definitely illegal for ahrma use, because they were not invented or available in that era. Hmm?

tlanders

I thought they would be illegal for the very reason stated. The only steering problem my Pentons have is me!!! Teddy

OUCWBOY

Teddy,
Sounds like your Penton had the same problem as mine.....the rider! LOL
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

lobo6y

Rob W,
I' m the AHRMA West MX Tech lead and I routinely check steering head bearings (have even found some with nut missing!)
I'd be interested to know if some of one of our MX officials suggested either a steering damper (illegal) or tightening the head too much to get same effect?  Maybe a misunderstaning?
thanks, dave janiec
AHRMA 6y

rob w

Dave, no ahrma official said to me to over-tighten the head set to stiffen the steering, some riders did. The steering damper like I mentioned works in a totally different way. It helps to bring the bars back to center, not to slow down the steering. It is a effective way to correct the handling when your bike gets out of shape, especially important when us old guys get weezed out quickly,  Donny and Ted, it's usually the rider in this case, not the bike.

lobo6y

Thanks Rob.  I've run Scott steering damper on my modern bikes when I still raced desert and enduro.  Absolutely necessary for some bikes (and us old geezers when we get tired - seems to happen much earlier now).
Glad to hear it wasn't any of our officials giving bum steers (pun intended).
thanks, dave