gel coat color change on fiberglass tanks

Started by john durrill, July 08, 2002, 09:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john durrill

Does anyone know how to change the gel coat color on our fiberglass tanks. Painting is not my first choice. We can remove the old color gel coat with scotch bright and acetone but have not been able to find anyone that can spray or replace the color gel coat local.
John & Peter

fzrr750

John, all I can think of is a paint shop that does boat repair could do this. I had some 'glass tanks repainted years ago and went to a boat shop in the Tampabay area back in the late 70's and got it done. I hope this helps you out.   Good luck.    Ed T.

71 Suzuki TM400,72 Suzuki TS400 Desert racer,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.
71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.

tmc3c

Hey John, I am planning on having my tank and side panels done by a guy named Scot Shope.e-mail [email protected]  He lives in Sand Springs Ok.74063 maybe he could help.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rob w

Speaking of tanks, I know this has been a popular topic, I just went thru 35 back pages and found alot of info. But I am not totally clear on something. I have just bought a beatiful, like new, tank that has been on the shelf for more than a few decades. It is a fiberglass tank, and super clean inside. Originally was there a coating on the inside? Could it have gotten old? Should I still use a sealant inside to be safe. Please answer me this and I'll know all I need to know about my tanks. Thanks, Rob w.

tim bowers

Rob, I used a sealer on one, once ,and it
reacted with the resin in the glass and
caused it to release. It ruined a perfectly good tank. Be careful what you use. I think it was Kreem.

john durrill

Rob ,
i dont know of any sealer used on new fiberglass tanks. you can use lacqure thinner to clean a tank out if it have a lot of old gas varnish in it. but try and keep it off the outside. it will dull the finish of the tank and you will have to re-buff it.
 Dont leave the lacquer thinner in the tank for long periods of time though it does affect the resin.
Hope this helps ,
 John

Edited by - john durrill on 07/11/2002  10:56:51 PM

rob w

John, yes that does help, thanks, I just wanted to know for certain, for the complete bike I paid $500, and the extra tank was $250, so it's one of the more precious parts on the bike.

john durrill

Walter parks out of Texas sent me this. it looks like it will let us rematch and change gel coat colors at home.
Anyone seen this befor?
http://www.minicraft.com/index.htm
John D.

minicraftsalesmgr

Mini Craft of Fla is a custom gel coat color
mfg. company.  We can match any color in any
quantity.  We specialize in small quantities
such as quarts and gallons.  Our signature
item is offering gel coat in an aerosol spray
can.  The gel coat (color of your choice) is
pre packed in the aerosol can before we
ship to you.  Our SSIZ-100 catalyst pump is
required for introducing the catalyst into
the areosol spray can.  Simply remove the
pump after all catalyst is transfered to the
can,  shake well for 2-4 minutes.  Spray the
gel coat out of the can with 4 hours.  Very
simple prpcess.  Donald

john durrill

Do enough of us have something that they could use to do a color match for the 100, 125, 175,250 and 400?
If enough of use got together on this we could have a supplier that would be able to provide spray on gel coat to make everyones bike look like new.
Just a thought. I know my son will have to recoat his stock 75 piner tank.
John

Edited by - John Durrill on 07/17/2002  9:41:17 PM

john durrill

Guys i have a six-days tank and a 75 piner tank we can send in for a color match. anyone got something in red and white?
John