clutch problem need input

Started by Mickey Sergeant, July 25, 2014, 07:37:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Sergeant

I have problems on my 6B motor with the c clip on the layshaft that holds the clutch basket on.I change the bushing often and shim tight. the end of the shaft chips out the groove for the clip. This time it destroyed the ball cage behind clutch basket and bushing was completely worn after 4 weekends of racing.I do ride the bike hard. Any tricks or recomendations on how to keep this from happening.

Thanks Mickey

firstturn

Sergeant,
  Not sure without seeing the set up in person, but here are somethings to consider.  If you are in fact having chipping on the shaft(?) you may be making the set up too tight.  That is the bearing is too tight and/or the the lateral play isn't enough causing a the clutch to bind.  As far as the chipping on the shaft I have never seen this and I have had some fairly high horse powered engines over the years.  Just a side note there is two sides to C Clip.  If you look at the clip closely there is a square side and a round side when they pop these out  The square side is always where the pressure is applied which in this case the square side would be on against the outside (cover side) of the grove.  As we get more info maybe we can determine what the problem is as I said it is hard to be much help via the internet.  Make it a good weekend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mickey Sergeant

I never thought about the c clip having 2 different sides. will replace everything and double check the clip. About how much play should there be?

Mickey Sergeant

I've been thinking about what you said, I probably don't have enough lateral play. when it's under pressure its probably binding putting pressure on the clip. I've always been told there should be no play. Learn something new every day. Will wait to hear on how much clearance there should be.

THANKS MICKEY

firstturn

Big Mickey,
  Give me a call and we can discuss rather than just writing and creating new questions.  I am not the Real Expert on Sachs (that was DOug WIlford), but i will try and help you if I can.

eight 3 two, 7 two two, zero 4 zero 8

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Richard

From Sachs motor service manual dated November 1976,,,,Fit the pre-assembled clutch on the clutch hub, after having oiled the latter, and over the layshaft. Fit shimming washers and fit the circlip. Axial play of the clutch 0.1 mm (0.0039 in.).

t20sl

Mickey:

To add to what Ron said many guys don't know that about c clips and it also applys to chain master link clips.  Both of those items are stamped out of sheet metal.  When the punch pushes thru the metal it leaves a sharp square edge on the side it comes out of and a rounded edge where the punch first contacts the sheet steel.  In all my years racing I have never lost a master link but know of many who have.  That sharp edge should be facing out on a master link and most know that the solid end of clip should always be towards the direction of rotation.
Ted

Daniel P. McEntee

Another little tid bit about retaining rings. Not only should the sharp edge face away from the load, but the holes have a slight taper, and the special pliers we use work much better at holding on the the ring after taking it off and not launching them to the other side of the garage! Also works better when putting them on. I work on printing presses for a living, and you never want to let a piece of hardware get away from you, because if you do, you HAVE to account for it before you turn the press over. Little things like this make a big difference.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Wesley Plunkett

Hey Mickey,

I have always set mine up on the loose side by feel and have never had the snap ring groove chip or round off. My gut feeling each time I install the clip is that the groove is pretty shallow and the clip might pop off at any time, but it never has. I have gone through a few bushings and 1 gear that had chipped teeth. Originally my clutch had a steel bushing that transferred metal onto the shaft but I was able to file it off. I run Al's bronze bushings.  

That said I am running a 6A motor in the Int. class and don't have to beat Vigil! But I do abuse the clutch to avoid unnecessary shifting. It's amazing what those little clutches will take.

Ditto on what everyone says about the sharp side of the snap ring away from the load. That goes for any snap ring. Or C clip, whatever you call it.

See ya at Big K!

Wes

Mickey Sergeant

This problem is on my 100. Vigil beat me at Bellingham  in moto 2 because I broke my pressure plate on the first lap. Still came down to the last corner, just couldn't get out of the corners without my clutch

Wesley Plunkett

The Sachs clutch has got me out of alot of turns where the trans would have let me down. Maybe that explains why my cable broke at Chrome. I haven't broken a pressure plate yet.

No doubt yours is taking even more abuse in the 100 expert class.