Woodsman vs Trials

Started by Wiley, August 12, 2014, 12:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wiley

I/m new to POG but long in the industry.

I bought a Woodsman 6yrs ago. From an AHMRA Trials rider.
And the story is, which I'm looking for verification on...

This was an unsold Woodsman. Converted to a Trials bike the next year because the Woodsman model were not good sellers. About 50-75 were made.

True or false?

I am displaying it at our local showing of the Penton movie here in Portland OR on Aug22.
 Figured it be important to brag the truth on this fine bike.

I am best contacted at: [email protected]

Thanks,
 Tom Young
 503-320-247five

Kip Kern

Tom
In a nut shell, the Penton Trials came along first (73 Keeping Track) followed by the Cafe Motocross (Dual Sport Model, trials tires and lighting kit) then lastly the Woodsman.  It was (Woodsman) the orange painted tank and sidecovers with a long tall Penton seat and a Husqvarna 125 exhaust, PP IT rear fender, Ceriani front end and that was about it.  Don't have total numbers per bike but I did read an article that a few thousand of the Wassell bikes were made.  Don't think anyone has for sure numbers only that the Penton models were changed to move them off the dealer floor hence the Penton Trials, Cafe-Motocross and Woodsman configurations.  I have restored all three models and each are very interesting with all the different kinds of fasteners involved, i.e., Metric, British and American. Hope this helps a bit

Dale Fisher

Reportedly 1000 Wassell Trials were made.  700 Went to the US, 250 UK, and 50 to Canada.  A little foggy on whether the original BSA Bantams were included in that number before changing over to the Sachs engine.  Imports started with the 6B alloy cylinder, then the newer engine was removed/replaced with 5A cast iron cylinder.  Several variations of the Woodsman exist some being just the 5A with the new silver and orange paint scheme, some with updated suspension components, and later with the husky pipe, rear frame loop modified, and the long husky seat.

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Dennis Jones

Tom, Like the others have said they all came to the US as trials models and they were a big bust and did not sell. The rest of the models were just an attempt to get rid of inventory. Today they are some of the most sought after Pentons and bring top dollar.

I've been told that new dealers signing on to Penton during that time were required to take at least one.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones