New to the forum

Started by Rick Bennett, August 13, 2014, 10:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

My name is Rick Bennett and back in 73 (I think) I purchased a Six Days 125 to race in hare scrambles. I started racing in the early 70s on a 71 Honda SL 125 and it was time to move up. Like most racers back in the 70s we only kept bikes a year or two before buying the latest and greatest. I eventually raced a 74 Honda CR 125 with FMF kit, C & J framed XL 125 with Yoshimura motor and then a 78 YZ 125. My last race was in 79 until about two years ago at Mid Ohio when I tried a vintage cc on a SL 125 I had built for my daughter to trail ride. The only bike I kept was the C & J XL from the good old days. Since getting back into vintage bikes and racing I have found all of the same type of bikes I owned except the Penton. Tomorrow I will see the John Penton movie in Elyria, Ohio and will probably come home depressed about letting the Six Days go. The Penton I had came with a small tank and white plastic fenders. The hubs were black, there was no cross bar in the bars and the pipe had a slotted chrome guard. Is this a 73? About the only thing I remember about racing it was that it handled really well and had lots of power but the tranny had a neutral between each gear. On one of my first races the brake stay rod bracket welds on the swing arm broke and the rods wrapped around the rear axle. My dealer offered no help at all and left me to find a repair on my own. Somehow I got it welded and continued racing for the next couple years. We were just kids and had no shop or skills. It is a wonder we could keep them going at all. I sold the Penton to another of the guys in our group that rode and have no idea of where it ended up. Now I have to have another one...hence the joining this group. If anyone has any leads on a 73 125 in or around the Ohio area let me know, the nicer the better, not a show bike. I will race it.

Al Martin

Hi Rick, my dad (Ollie) has a six-day he will be selling soon. I think it's a 74 though (has a D cylinder & 35mm forks). He did have a 73 but Todd Huffman bought it for the movie captain give-away bike. If you would be interested email me at awmconst@ yahoo.com with your phone # and I will have him give you a call. I can take and email you some photos if you want. I assume you must not live too far away from us if you are coming to Elyria to see the movie, so it would be easy to get together for you to look at it in person.

Rick Bennett

Al
I tried to email you but it was returned. You can reach me at 440-417-8094 cell or [email protected].
Thanks
Rick Bennett