To Clutch or not to Clutch that is the ?

Started by Scott Sappington, October 12, 2014, 02:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Sappington

74 /75 250 Hare 6 speed, some conflicting advice for using the clutch during MX. Some say "at the gate and then no clutch will help with missed shifts...." what's the other racers out there's consensus on clutch usage? Help, or hinder, or tranny failure.  Thanks, Scott

brian kirby

I dont use the clutch for shifting on any motorcycle, even my Sachs bikes, but I do NOT shift "under power", I chop the throttle as I shift. All the clutch does is disconnect the transmission from load, if you chop the throttle for a split second as you shift you are just unloading the transmission in a different way. Removing the gears from load is what is important, the way you achieve that is not important. Penton/KTM gear engagement dogs are back cut so the lock together, back cutting gears is a common mod done to drag bikes so they can more reliably shift without the clutch, Penton/KTMs come that way from the factory.

Brian
Brian

Paul Danik

Scott,

When in doubt ask the Professor...:D

http://www.racerxvt.com/article/gary-bailey-trackside---in-the-clutch

I learned the hard way one time when I decided to shift a BMW street machine with a can of gas in my left hand and decided to just roll off the throttle and apply a little pressure on the shifter...just about tore my arm off when the next gear engaged..

Personally, I almost always use the clutch. John Penton always said it is easier to teach a mechanic to be a rider than a rider to be a mechanic...you gotta envision what is happening down below.......

I learned on a small bore Sachs engine with a selector key... and part of the trick is to keep the RPMs up, and treat your selector key with great kindness and respect.

Paul