Stolen motorcycles

Started by Paul Danik, September 25, 2014, 09:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

This is unreal, hope they find the thieves.

Do any of you wish to share any extra precautions you use to protect you machines? I know some folks who keep any and all mention of what their trailers are hauling off of the outsides. To many big numbers floating around on some of the so called reality shows...

http://www.cyclenews.com/45/25079/Racing-Article/Cannonball-Motorcycles-Stolen.aspx

Found this story..http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/09/23/3394763/thieves-sour-cannonball-run-for.html?sp=/99/296/

Paul

Mick Milakovic

Not long after moving into our new place 10 years ago, two bikes were stolen out of our not-yet-secured pole barn.  I asked the local investigating officer about security systems such as touch pads, laser eye beams and motion detectors, but he said the #1 security system is a loud barking dog.  We now have six, of which the smallest is a 90-pound lab/pitbull mix that barks at EVERYTHING.  He roams our property, loose at night.  No more problems.

Mick
Mick

Kip Kern

Wow,  I would be sick. I'm in the process of finishing a 1928 Harley JD and know how much money/time I have in the bike, I couldn't imagine the total cost of that lot stolen.  I personally have television cameras on my property, notification alarms on the drive, a dog and many loaded weapons ready for just about anything. Very sad story as the Cannonball is an amazing event and a person has to spend a bundle just to prepare/participate in the ride.  The bikes are hopefully listed in other antique motorcycle publications and should be easy to locate.  Not too many of those machines left in this country.  Hope the thieves are caught and receive the maximum punishment by the law.

firstturn

Most of the items and truck were recovered.  I think one back up bike and some parts are still missing?  Mixed reports.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tom Murphy

From this morning's Cyril Huze blog...

Seattle Police say the trailer with the 4 antique motorcycles used in the Cannonball Endurance Run that was stolen from a Tacoma hotel parking lot on Tuesday, was recovered by Seattle police officers in South Seattle Wednesday afternoon. The stolen trailer was spotted by a witness about 12:30 pm in the 2700 block of 7th Place South," according to detective Patrick Michaud. Officers called to the scene opened the trailer and found four stolen Harleys. Some tools, a motor are missing in the trailer. The bikes were dusted for fingerprints and the theft remains under investigation.
Tom Murphy
\\\'73 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'74 250 Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 125 six day
\\\'73 Berkshire 100
\\\'74 125 six day
\\\'74 Mint 400
\\\'74 Maico 440
\\\'72 Mudlark
\\\'81 RM125
\\\'82 RM250

Paul Danik

Thanks for the update.  

Another tip that has been suggested is to never take photos of your machines that will be posted for others to see that give away where they are stored.

While on the subject, anyone want to share thoughts on insuring your prized machinery for theft and fire? How values are determined? General costs involved?

Kip, any particular caliber and load recommended, how about night vision equipment..:)

Paul

johnborn

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by johnborn

I mined the perimeter!

Sounds like Mick's dogs are mining his perimeter. Maybe sloshing through a couple 90 pound dog land mines would at least leave a trail, easy to follow.

rd400pi

As proud as we are about our bikes/hobby...a truck and trailer with graphics on it are an advertisement.  Also, did I read that the trailer had windows?  If you need/want windows, probably a good idea to be able to block people looking inside while it's in the parking lot overnight.  The world is full of dillweeds unfortunately.  :(

Mike H.

Kip Kern

Paul
All my cameras are night vision capable and look at all surrounding my home and garage.  I have a long range camera for the 700' drive with notification alerts along the drive to give me time to grab the weapon of choice. Learned from uncle Ron to personally carry a Taurus Judge loaded with PDX1 defense rounds (410) and have 380, 9mm, 40 and 45 cal hand guns loaded around the property with 5.56 and 308 long range stuff for vehicles trying to speed away. Lucky here as we are a Castle Law state so we protect our home, lands and families in our vehicles:D God Bless America

Gordon Brennan

Quotequote:Originally posted by kip kern

Paul
All my cameras are night vision capable and look at all surrounding my home and garage.  I have a long range camera for the 700' drive with notification alerts along the drive to give me time to grab the weapon of choice. Learned from uncle Ron to personally carry a Taurus Judge loaded with PDX1 defense rounds (410) and have 380, 9mm, 40 and 45 cal hand guns loaded around the property with 5.56 and 308 long range stuff for vehicles trying to speed away. Lucky here as we are a Castle Law state so we protect our home, lands and families in our vehicles:D God Bless America

Love it!

Kip Kern

Last Fire and Theft insurance through State Farm for a 5K coverage was about $25 per year:)

Richard Colahan

My collection of vintage Brit bikes is insured for fire/theft with Hagerty. Very reasonable expense.
Homeowner's policy will likely NOT cover bikes stored in your home.

Regarding keeping a trailer secure...

A friend down in GA had the following official-looking signs and lettering on his enclosed bike trailer:

"CAUTION!! THIS TRAILER CONTAINS LIVE RATTLESNAKES AND OTHER POISONOUS REPTILES. NORTH GEORGIA HERPETOLOGY RESEARCH CENTER"

He probably didn't even need the locks...

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

seanguthrie

I jumped in on the Kick starter for these little cameras.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/505428730/blink-wire-free-hd-home-monitoring-and-alert-syste

I figured I could put the 3 I ordered all around my garage.

When I work on bikes I now have the luxury of rolling them right into my downstairs through my walk out basement. Not too worried about someone hitting the house while I'm away as my guard dog is always roaming and staring out the windows. If they come while I'm there, I really feel sorry for them as a S&W 500 rest in the drawer next to my bed.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213