Northwest and Mid-ohio

Started by tomale, February 23, 2004, 11:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomale

Rob, thanks for the invite to come back and ride with some of you guys. It got me to thinking and I told my wife that I had been invited to go back and ride with you guys and she said that she has vacation set up for  two weeks in july. A quick look at the schedule and what did I find? Mid-ohio. What a cool idea. I looked up the mileage and it is 2400 miles. I think I could do it in three days but better to do it in four. I would for sure bring my bike.
When would be a good day to get there? Could I maybe camp with the rest of the Penton riders? Or will they be scattered around. I don't mean to move in on you but I just thought it would be nice to get to know some of the guys that I have conversed with over the last year and a half.
Not sure about the other Penton riders from the NW coming but I will do some asking and find out if some of the other penton guys would like to come. For sure I will be bringing my MC5 but if someone wanted to fly in I could probably bring their bike. Mac, Matt? What do you think.
Nothing is carved in stone yet but now that I know that it is a possibility I will do some checking to see if it is really feasable.

Question I have been riding the Am. class because it has been over 25 years since I race a motocycle. Thought I would start out at the  bottom and see how I did. Lots has changed since I last race my bike.(1977)  Mostly me. Not just older and maybe a bit wiser. but since those days I am 70 pounds heavier and I'm not in that good of shape....Yet, but by the time I get there... if I do.... I will have moved up to intermediate class and maybe lost a few more pounds. Will I need to race as a intermediate there too. It has been a long time since I raced in a AMA sanctioned event. A very long time. This is not about winning,it is about doing what is right and fair.
Next question, My MC5 does not say Penton on the tank it says KTM but I have been told that and everything that I have read says that it is the same bike as the bikes with the Penton on the tank? Is that going to be a problem if I wanted to ride or could ride the Penton only races? I think that it would be a hoot to race something like that. You guys will probably blow me into the weeds anyway. Thanks guys!

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

rob w

Thom, If I knew you were waiting for an invintation, I'd-a-been-a-asking sooner. :D But there's plenty of time to plan something good. Mid-Ohio forsure would be the site you'd meet the most POG members in the same place, at the same time. I'm a little bias when it comes to the quality of the race track, or the race in general there. But it's still one of my most anticipated, and most enjoyable (long) weekends of the season. That'd be a whole bunch of driving for you without a non-stop crew on hand. It's entirely up to you. I can promise you this...someday in the next 2 or 3 years, I'm going to truck about 4 riders and bikes out to the west coast for a little California action. This year the farthest west I'll probably make it is the MX Natl. in Moberly, MO.
See ya,
Bob

tmc3c

Thom, I am like you, Planning to come to Mid-Ohio with my bike and camp also from S.C. ! I have already put in for the vacation at work and much like yourself that spare tire has left the trunk and now I am carrying it with me, You know for those of us that is carring that "extra rider" should be given a head start! What do you think?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

jerry

I will be making the trek to Mid-Ohio from SC as well. I will not have my Penton done in time, I suspect and will instead bring my recently restored 1971 BMW /5 cafe bike. It will be great putting faces with names of guys that have helped me and will continue to help me on future problems on the Penton. Only 138 days to go!
Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

tmc3c

Hey Jerry, Are you going to be able to come to the GNCC BIG BUCK hare scramble in April ? What Kind of Penton are you rebuilding? And where in S.C. are you? ..............Can't think of any other question to bug you with ........Hope to Meet you next month!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rain Man

okay, fill me in here. what, when and where is mid ohio?  Only thing I can figure is something happening July 16-18 in Lexington Ohio called Vintage Motorcycle days. what big city is it near? Also which weapon of choice do I need? Enduro, moto, flat track or road race? If your interested, I can fill you in on a small National race week  happening in my neck of the Woods. Something called Louden.
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

rob w

"Mid-Ohio" also named VMD or "Vintage Motorcycle Days"
 Lexington Ohio, near Mansfield or just north of Columbus.
 July 16th-18th
 Friday the 16th- swap meet, road race practice, (all ahrma national events), observed trials, and dirt track races.
 Sat. 17th- swap meet, vintage motocross, road races, (the P.O.G. meeting and festivities has normally been on saturday, I'm not up on what the schedule will be this year).
 Sun. 18th- swap meet, post-vin. mx, road race.....and more.

Big Mac

Thom - Summer's pretty full already w/ lots of NW events while the sun shines. I'm planning on a big ol' trailer and lots of miles to make the run to OK for the ISDTRR in October. A whole lot of fun when I wan in MO 2 years ago, tons of the Penton guys there (I was Husky mounted last time...sorry), lots of trail miles, special go-fast tests, and a motocross at the end of 2 days. What you think? Mac
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

jerry

Thomas, I am in Columbia, the hottest city on earth in the summertime.
I won't be able to attend the big buck because I have a 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado that is my daily rider and I have a rally to attend with that marque that conflicts. I am rebuilding a 1973 125 ISDT that I am sure John himself owned, rode or raced at somepoint in time (I made that part up but am going to stick with the story until I can convince others). See you and the rest of the POGgers in Ohio. Where do you live? Jerry

Quotequote:Originally posted by tmc3c

Hey Jerry, Are you going to be able to come to the GNCC BIG BUCK hare scramble in April ? What Kind of Penton are you rebuilding? And where in S.C. are you? ..............Can't think of any other question to bug you with ........Hope to Meet you next month!

Thomas Carmichael

Jerry
Jerry

tmc3c

Jerry , I am in the upstate, Greenville.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

tomale

Thanks guys,
I am not sure why I did not think to go back before, not that it would have been any different anyway.... Last year at this time I was still dreaming of just being back on my bike. The Vintage Dirt racing NW made it possible for me to ride and race and still not conflict with my Sunday responsibities. So I jumped at it. I still would have not thought of it but my wonderful wife said that we could go if I wanted to during our vacation time. That threw me for a loop. Last year we went to the mountains and rented a cabin. It was great, especially since my son and I spent so much time riding. But this is even better. I will need to get a few things figured out before I can make the trip but with this kind of motivation I should be able to get things done in time. As you have said, We still have a lot of time before the event. Be assured I will do what I can to make it happen. I am looking forward to the racing but more than that I am looking forward to finally meeting you guys.

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Doug Wilford

COme on guys.   The old Penton Cycliner use to make Portland, uh Mc Minnville in 48 hours.   Don't ask miles distance were all converted to time.  Most all major events were attended enough to etch those times deep into the memory banks.

tomale

Big Mac,
That sounds very interesting. I have never did anything like that before. I thought that the ISDTRR was for all the guys that had ridden as part of the US teams. You know real riders, not for guys like me. I have never even done an enduro before. Not that I am apposed to such things. I am not the kind of guy that would just jump into something with out a  little help from my "Friends". I would need a properly equiped bike I would think but that should not be too big of a problem. Still all in all, I would like to talk to you about the idea, maybe we will have a few minutes next saturday at the race. See ya soon,Thom

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W