Clutch Adjust free play

Started by Scott Sappington, December 28, 2014, 09:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Sappington

(74 250 Hare S.) Even with the clutch cable adjusted @ "0" free play, the clutch is still dragging while in its supposed to be disengaged - tranny still rotating?, shifting into 1st bike is a bit hard, in 1st slightly pulling. Magura split perch, Dog Leg lever. What causes this, an adjustment or trick/mod to correct this problem? Heard of bending the lever, must be a better solution than that. All input appreciated. Scotty

rob w

Clutch push rods could be worn (in length)
Clutch actuator could be worn. (at point of contact with rod)
Clutch plates could be sticking together. (disassemble and clean)
Fine adjuster screw in middle of pressure plate could be worn out.
You should have a cable adjuster on the lower end of the cable also.
Maybe wrong type of trans fluid.

Rocket

Pressure plate not adjusted correctly.

Scott Sappington

Rob W, Thanks for the reply / info. Bell Ray Gear saver 80W, Have an adjuster @ engine side, I'm putting light pressure (by hand) on the clutch actuator arm, and adjusting till I have a bit or play at cable end holder Engine side,  which is less play than manual specifies New clutch cable, new Magura assy,

Scott Sappington

Rocket, I have a chain protector in place tho the clutch arm with some light hand pressure seems to be 42 MM +, - from arm base. I see in the manual, unlike a lot of bikes the center nut is NOT for adjusting the clutch. Can you (or someone) embellish on the adjustment procedure of the pressure plate. along with pg # in manual. Manual seems a bit vague on "pressure plate" Thanks, Scotty

Kip Kern

Proper adjustment of the actuator arm is determined by the stack of  clutch plates, the correct length of clutch actuating rods and ball (222mm total length)and the thickness of the pressure plate on top of the plates in the clutch basket.  There are around 4 different thickness of pressure plates and this what you use to adjust the clutch.  First, make sure your clutch rods are 108mm each with a 6mm ball in between (total 222mm), then make sure your clutch plates both drive and driven are in good shape and stacked properly as per clutch (KTM handbook).  Once that is determined, place a pressure plate on the stack and add 4 each nuts on the clutch screws/springs, tighten down to proper height where you can add the cotter key  (just to check measurement).  Check clutch actuator arm measurement on right side of engine.  If the measurement is too long or short, change pressure plate thicknesses to achieve the correct arm measurement on the right side of the engine.  Make sure the hardened bolt is installed properly on the inside of pressure plate, this bolt not an adjustment point.  Hand book shows all of this. I usually set my actuator arm between 42-45mm.  Good luck

Scott Sappington

Thanks Kip,
I believe I understand the process better. I will keep you posted on my findings. I found that there is a fair amount of play on the disengaging arm. I'll go from there.   Scotty "Rat"

1974 Penton Hare Scrambler
1974 Honda Cr 250 Elsinore
1972 Hodaka Super Rat 100
2006 BMW F650GS