73 Berkshire

Started by Will Tidwell, July 14, 2015, 11:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Tidwell

My name is James tidwell and myself and my son attended mid-Ohio for the first time last week end . We purchased a. Berkshire in pretty rough shape for a project bike. We have noticed that it has no serial number . Several people have told me it looks like the original paint and that it is probably a replacement frame . I have never heard of this and wonder why the frame would have been replaced. Was this common? Will the value be less when restored? Also does any one know who repaints fiberglass tanks and about what that costs thanks in advance for any help you can give me. My son will has a new ktm 200 xcw and is excited about getting the penton going as it was the ktm s predecessor . Thanks again j t

brian kirby

No replacement frame, be it an old Penton or a brand new bike, comes with a frame number. Today a dealership can not even sell a frame outright, you must bring in the old frame/bike and the dealership has to destroy the old frame and submit proof to the government that it was destroyed. The dealership then stamps the same number into the new frame. At the time you are talking about, especially for dirt bikes, rules were not as strict this was not done. If a person needed a replacement frame back then they many times did not get the same number or a new number stamped in it, they were just given the new frame with no number.

Brian
Brian

gooddirt

If its the $250 dollar bike the frame is a rare 1975.

Mike Schulz

Hi JT and welcome to the group!
By using the search function on the home page or the toolbar on the top of the page you can find information regarding painting fiberglass tanks. In my opinion, and without seeing the condition of your tank, the original gel coat can sometimes be saved by using Meguiars #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and # 10 Clear Plastic Polish. After removing decals ( use goo gone or a hair dryer) use the # 17 with a microfiber or cotton rag until the tank is as clean as you can get it. If you like the result then use the # 10 polish. The price on the 8 ounce bottles I bought a few years ago is $8.00 each. Good luck with your project and let us know how it turns out.
Mike Schulz
(Kip Kern shared this method of restoring the finish on the fiberglss tanks a few years ago - Thanks Kip!:D)