Alouette Pipe

Started by Cal Alexander, December 16, 2015, 01:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal Alexander

Recently I was looking for a nice exhaust pipe for my next Six Day Restoration. I saw an eBay post for a 73 Alouette 125 that was being parted out. The pipe and many other components looked like they were right off of a Penton. I decided to roll the dice and bought the pipe hoping it would work. In comparing it with my other stock pipes they are identical except the Alouette pipe does not have a center mount (which I can easily remedy). The pipe is in near perfect condition otherwise. I guess you get lucky on these things once in a while. I don't know the history of the Alouette bikes but perhaps some of you do? It appears that they sourced many components from the same vendors that KTM was using. The frame also appeared to be very similar to the CMF frames with some differences which has me wondering if KTM was directly involved with the Alouette??

75 250 MC
74 Jackpiner
72-73 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

thrownchain

I'd call it a clone, with the quality not quite as good as Penton.

thrownchain

I'd call it a clone, with the quality not quite as good as Penton.

Paul Danik

Sounds like you hit the jackpot Cal, below is some info on the Alouette motorcycle as well as the company.

Paul

Alouette was a Canadian manufacturer of snowmobiles from the 1960's through the 1970's. As with others in the snowmobile industry, Alouette needed another product for their dealers to sell and service during the summer months. Motorcycles, and especially dirt oriented motorcycles were all the rage at that time, so it seemed only natural to persue this market.
    Introduced in 1973, the Alouette model AX-125 enduro hit the market, but failed to sell, and for several reasons. Limited production numbering 700 units were all that was built, all 125cc. Their dealer network was sparse compared to other brands. At the time, Can-Am was the hottest bike around, and was tearing up the tracks of North America. In addition to power and performance, just about any bike was styled better than the AX-125, whose looks were plain ugly. Alouette was purchased by Coleco in 1971, who in turn, discontinued Alouette in 1975.
    The bikes were powered by the Sachs 125cc six speed "b" engine, which was nothing to brag about...just ask John Penton. The body work was of fiber glass, which was pretty much antiquated by this time. Motoplat ignitions, steel wheels, and questionable suspension components all made for an awkward looking package. Today they are a collectors item, and indeed, there are those who are dedicated to their preservation, which I think is great.

Cal Alexander

Thanks for the history on these Paul. It sounds like the Alouette was a very rare bird. As you said they look very clunky with the fiberglass tank / seat shroud and all. In addition to the pipe, it appears that the footpegs, side stand and rear swing arm all are identical or very similar to Penton. Probably sourced these items from the same Italian suppliers as KTM.

75 250 MC
74 Jackpiner
72-73 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Paul Danik

Cal,

I copied that info from the website below... I used to do term papers that way, for awhile..:)

http://www.classicjapcycles.com/articles/canadian-motorcycles

Paul