1968 penton 175 prototype found

Started by goliath, November 25, 2015, 10:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel Desranleau

Yes, it is what it is!
There are a lot of original, rebuilt and restored bikes out there so to see a custom modified bike from back in the day would hold a place in time.
Some of the mods were pretty interesting considering the year they most likely were made. Not everyone had access to good equipment or the variety we have available today.

Dan.

goliath

yes point well taken i am actually considering racing it i would love to see how a fully modded fist year penton works that would be a one in a lifetime thing to get to race a 1st year penton now i am in Ontario Canada we have a big vintage fest Tom Penton was here this year and Helmut Clasen still races love to race with him my bike is in decent shape i can just paint frame fix it ride it then finish restoring it to perfect after next year.
Thanks for input
Cheers Udo

Daniel P. McEntee

I've been reading this thread and would like to cast a vote for rebuilding it as found, and for all the reasons Paul Mentioned. Sounds like you have the critical engine parts already. I'm doing something similar with a '75 Penton 400 that I'm pretty sure was built up from parts. I've related the story before. Nothing on the bike matches what should be on a '74/'75 bike along with a lot of other little "touches" that tell me it was built up by a serious enduro rider. There are plenty or real nice stock restorations out there, and it saves me a bunch of money trying to find OEM parts! So again, I vote for "improving" what may be substandard as far as welding goes, and rebuilding it as found.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

goliath

I agree would be a shame to hide what was done lots of restored bikes not many old race bikes and they are way more interesting so sending all the parts that were yellow out for powder tomorrow to have it redone and it is kind of cool leaving the original dented rims and tank they show how it was used also do you guy know about vintage tires this will tell last time bike ran front is almost new Avon gripster rear barum s9a i know they are old just not sure how old here is pic http://s624.photobucket.com/user/goliath99/library/1968%20Penton%20V335?sort=3&page=1

Thanks Udo

brian kirby

My '72 Berkshire has also been modified, the rear frame loop was cut and shortened, the lower shock mount was moved 3" forward, it has a modified pipe, and a larger than stock Bing carb. I would never put the bike back to stock because the bike is a showcase for "period modifications". There are many more totally stock bikes already out there, so I'll side with putting it back just like it is. I would have to paint the frame silver, but other than that I like the idea of building it back with its modifications intact.

Brian
Brian

goliath

see the repairs were done under the yellow paint rear loop was broken off and one foot peg mount was replaced so it odiously was silver when fist raced those repairs where awful now rear brace and rear beefed up motor mounts which shows me they were done when motor was built up  looks better so i think it was there before the yellow then repairs were done by some ass then painted yellow you know early 70s lots of drugs would explain color choice so silver it is lol
thanks again Udo