timing help

Started by Dale Sonnenschein, December 08, 2015, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Sonnenschein

Hi all, I know this is PENTON talk but I have a problem with a husky I have. I can't find the correct way to time a SEM ignition. I have a manual but it's very vague on how to time it. Anyone here know or have info on SEM ignitions?

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
82 husky wr430
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

KJDonovan

Dale,

I know you already posted at CafĂ© Husky on this, but I found an older thread there that has some good photos on this topic that may help.  http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/1987-wr250-sem-ignition-problems.21196/.  I had similar issues with one of these on a 88KTM and finally ended up replacing it with a used PVL.  Let me know if you find any better documentation on the timing procedure, as I have an 83 WR430 I am going to need to replace crank seals on so I am sure I will be having the same issues.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
74ish Mint 400
74 Hare Scrambler
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
83 Husqvarna WR430
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

brian kirby

My '82 430WR ran great for the first year I had it then it lost spark. I messed with the SEM a little but I gave up when I saw it had the "Open circuit red-black" and bought an MZ-B/Powerdynamo. Most of you know I am not a fan of Motoplats, but I would swap on a Motoplat before I wasted much time with an SEM.

Brian
Brian

paul a. busick

The Problem as I understand it concerns the potting resin used to seal the ignition, coil, etc..  The resin is micro porous which allows moisture to corrupt the system. I had a SEM on a 1990 & 91 KTM 300 that gave me no problems.  The later SEM systems had a better method for potting the the resin. Solution?  Get an MZ (PENTON RACING) ignition. It is 12 volts, has a lighting coil and a good weight fly wheel. I have one on my 82 175 PE and it works great.  By the way - SEM also know as Swedish Electrical Mystery was mot made in Sweden, rather Czechoslovkia [:p].  Hope this info has been helpful.  Amherst Paul

Dale Sonnenschein

Thanks guys. Kevin, I searched quite a bit on cafe husky. I think I did read that thread. My repair manual says one thing and the owners manual says another. After reading them both about 6 times, it kind of came to me. The long line mark on the ignition is where the ignition fires. The numbers are the advanced and retarded settings. You set the piston at TDC and rotate the ignition to line up with the arrow on the flywheel and to the number you want the timing set to. I can only assume the numbers are millimeters from TDC. I can't find anything that tells for sure. If you then set the piston at the timing BTDC you want, the arrow on the flywheel should line up with the long firing mark. I could be wrong but this makes sense to me.
I have no issue with the SEM. I had changed the crank seal and my marking on the ignition was poor.

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
82 husky wr430
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r