Oil-fuel mix

Started by cbridgewater, January 15, 2016, 11:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbridgewater

So the Penton manual says to use Hi-point oil for the gas mixture. I have heard that hi-point is no more. What do you guys use? 1969 Penton 125

thrownchain

I use Yamaha but any quality 2 stroke oil will work.

Larry Perkins

Yamalube is very good and I have never had a failure with it.  HiPoint oil was made by Spectro and was labeled HiPoint.  It is still available.

Larry P

Gary Heath

I've always had good luck with Bel Ray MC1...many races,very little wear...

Larry Perkins

Have had great luck with Belray MC1 in modern two strokes but had two rod failures with vintage Pentons useing it racing. Of course, old bikes could have just been time.

Larry P

Mike OReilly

I've had great success with Maxima Castor 927 (same as Maxima Super M, except it has the cool castor smell).
Many races, very little wear - when I pulled apart my 1975 250 KTM motor after a lot of AHRMA racing the cylinder was still within spec. (ie: standard bore with no signifigant wear) Hone (not rebore) the cylinder and install a new piston and ride on was my situation.
I think the take-away, is, as suggested above, use good 2-stroke oil, and make sure that all of the components, including big (bottom) end are within spec.
The other take-away, is that if you rebuild a motor, everything is up to spec. and use good oil, how many hours are us old guys going to put on it compared to the old days? The answer: it will last the rest of your life! Let your heirs worry about the details.
Mike

Dale Fisher

This is what Doug Wilford advised me to use and I have done so since.

1 - Bottle of Golden Spectro to 4-1/2 gallons gas.  I am lucky enough to have the local choice of race gas or a Sunoco station that has non-ethanol 90 at price about the same as premium.

http://www.spectro-oils.com/golden-spectro-two-cycle-pre-mix-blend/

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Daniel P. McEntee

I have the belief that Golden Spectro is what Hi-Point used to be. At least that is what the guy I have bought my parts from most of my life told me. He had been in business since 1970 or so and was a Penton dealer for a while, and just recently closed shop about a year ago or so. I used that until I tried Opti-2 on Speedy Clausen's recommendation and have been using that ever since. If I couldn't find Opti, I would stick with Golden Spectro.
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

brian kirby

Hi-Point was relabeled Golden Spectro.

Its actually pretty hard to buy bad oil these days as long as you dont try to use Walmart Supertech outboard oil, every brand has a very high quality oil, find one and stick with it.

Brian
Brian

paul a. busick

I have used High Point and Golden Spectro since 1967and have never lost a motor to lack of lubrication. Originally I used it  a mix of 12 oz to 5 gal of the highest test gas available-with no problems. But after much reading and discussions, I have been using a blend of 12oz to 6 gal of fuel-no problems and less smoke. Also, lube oil is not burnt, it just passes through the motor. I have been told that it can be mixed to 100 ratio-BUT,I have not got the guts to try it.  Remember, the less oil mix that you use the leaner the jetting. Amherst Paul [:p]

Rocket

The less oil mixed, the richer the jetting.  Since the oil doesn't burn, the more gas you are using, making the jetting richer.
RCG